Communal Avics

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been thinking of making a communal avic setup. I have a nice 15 gallon high tank just asking to be transformed. I've been searching the threads and see that some of you have done this before. What was the final outcome with these setups? Are they still up and running? Any casualities? If so, what's the average span of peace before hostilities begin? Has anyone kept this long term, and how many in what ratio, and in what size tank are they kept?

Thanks,

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
15 gal would be ok for 2 or 3 avics...i have 2 in a tank i custom made, well sort of. I removed the bottom of one 10 gal and stacked it on top of another 10 gal...

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Red Queen said:
I have 7 avics in a 30 gallon setup and they seem to like it just fine.
Are these all A. avic? Have they all been together since sling-hood? I have 3 A. versi's that are still young, but currently kept separately, and an empty 30 gal tank... :?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure someone has to say this...

I am guilty of communal setups lol and I know there is a risk of canabalism.

just so everyone else who dosent allready know there IS a risk of canabalism yippee now i said it...LOL {D ;P

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
starzzzcollide said:
Are these all A. avic? Have they all been together since sling-hood? I have 3 A. versi's that are still young, but currently kept separately, and an empty 30 gal tank... :?

I've not kept any Ts communally but I've read that A. versis are not a very good T for communal keeping. They seem to be a bit more aggressive toward each other.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Back to Plan A.

No prob. I was already planning on separate enclosures for them as grownups, so we'll just keep it that way....

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
starzzzcollide said:

Of the 7 currently in the setup, they are all A. avic's: 2 Adult females (of different bloodlines), and 5 others (1 mature female, 3 mature males, 1 unsexed) that I bred 2 years ago. **the was an older 4th male from Guido, but he (the T, not Guido) recently died** The 5 I bred have been together since sling-hood, but they joined thier mother and the other 2 adults in February (when they we still juveniles).

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had two living together and they were absolutely fine together. One was slightly bigger than the other and would get startled when they other one would wander into its area but that is it.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For anyone who is keeping or considering keeping Avics communally, just know, it is a risk, period. They can and often do cannibalize eachother. Comments such as "They are just fine together" etc.etc. are misleading and do not address the likelyhood of something bad happening.
Do as you wish with your personal spiders but the risk must be acknowledged.

Atrax

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Atrax said:
For anyone who is keeping or considering keeping Avics communally, just know, it is a risk, period. They can and often do cannibalize eachother. Comments such as "They are just fine together" etc.etc. are misleading and do not address the likelyhood of something bad happening.

Atrax
/agree
Not worth the risk. For all T's, individual enclosures are the best way to go.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
I am guilty of communal setups lol and I know there is a risk of canabalism. just so everyone else who dosent allready know there IS a risk of canabalism yippee now i said it...LOL {D ;P
Atrax said:
Atrax
got ya covered ATRAX....granted i have a communal setup and it has now been 5 months and zero cnabalism or even problems, they met once and just kept on going. though recently i have learned one is a male and one is a female. believe it or not the smaller of the two actually has used part of the other's web as an anchor.

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Red Queen, if you don't mind me bringing this thread back to life, how is your community tank doing now?

Regards
Tim