Common Garden Spider Egg question

Should i open the eggsack after a month and a half or do i let it stay

• Total voters

Buza

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping a spider with 2 legs missing after my cat has been playing with it. It got me interested in spiders.

Gave it some alive moths he enjoyed very much. He got very big, almost twice as big, as the day i got him in a terrarium. The following day, it laid a big egg sack, and the spider got very small, for some reason it didn't move for the 2 following days despite giving him food. It died.

I kept the eggsack (attached to the web) and closed the terrarium to protect it. A month and a half passed, the eggsack turned green-ish?
Should i open it? Do i let it stay?

(In the pics, index finger for scale)

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If the sac is viable it will be 2-3 months or more before they hatch. The green is most likely mold. Touch it with a q-tip. If some green comes off it's a mold. Is it harmful to the eggs? Maybe, maybe not. It could even be a natural occurrence that helps camouflage the sac.

Buza

Arachnopeon
Ok, so i cut it open being super careful, and i managed to make a small incision in the base of the sac in case i needed to close it again.
The terrarium was sitting outside, but closed shut so that natural agents couldn't affect it much.
Here's what i found. Eggs. They seem to be preserved so i managed to close the sac again to protect them.
Should i bring them inside so that they have a warmer enviroment to hatch?

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ok, so i cut it open being super careful, and i managed to make a small incision in the base of the sac in case i needed to close it again.
The terrarium was sitting outside, but closed shut so that natural agents couldn't affect it much.
Here's what i found. Eggs. They seem to be preserved so i managed to close the sac again to protect them.
Should i bring them inside so that they have a warmer enviroment to hatch?
Since you've opened the sac, they may no longer protected from desiccation. You should make an incubator for them.

Buza

Arachnopeon
Ok, under a closer look the sac was getting moldy, so i made the incubator i've seen in some videos, and i placed the eggs in it without the sac, i'm afraid the mold could get on the eggs too.
I'm gonna keep the whole incubator in my room, which is always at around 25 C°, really hope they will make it.
Will keep you updated, thanks for all the support.

Attachments

The Snark

Old Timer
It should be kept in mind the sac isn't just a convenient container. It's an environment and buffer zone that regulates temperature, humidity, and what can access the eggs themselves. Roughly analogous to the placenta and the womb, without the umbilicus. The sac also replaces the immune system of the mother.
It will be interesting as to what transpires.

Buza

Arachnopeon
It should be kept in mind the sac isn't just a convenient container. It's an environment and buffer zone that regulates temperature, humidity, and what can access the eggs themselves. Roughly analogous to the placenta and the womb, without the umbilicus. The sac also replaces the immune system of the mother.
It will be interesting as to what transpires.
I completely agree, although if the womb of a mother were to become potentially hazardous for the offspring, you'd try your best luck with thr child in an incubator (?)

The Snark

Old Timer
I completely agree, although if the womb of a mother were to become potentially hazardous for the offspring, you'd try your best luck with thr child in an incubator (?)
I don't know. Molds are omnipresent in a spiders world. Maybe lethal to the eggs, maybe an antibiotic protecting them from hazardous organisms.