Colour variants of Pterinochilus murinus by locality

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I wanted to start a thread to share the different variants of this amazing species that covers such a vast area.

A lot of people see the following TCF, DCF, BCF, OCF, RCF etc following P. murinus. Here is what they stand for-

BCF - Brown Colour Form
DCF - Dark Colour Form
OCF - Orange Colour Form
RCF - Red Colour Form
TCF - Typical Colour Form
UMV- Usambara Mountains Variant

Many folks are probably under the impression that there is only one variant of each form. But there are multiple for some.

Here are some localities to some of the variants -

BCF - Tete, Mozambique
DCF - Botswana/Zimbabwe, Kenya, Kigoma, Mikumi
OCF - Usambara Mountains Region
RCF - Usambara Mountains Region
TCF - Kenya, Mozambique
UMV - Usambara Mountains Region

Each locality seems to have differences, even if very subtle.

There are also some hobby forms that will fall under TCF and 'Classic'

Here are some photos I can share to show a few. I will add better photos to this thread when I can. Hopefully I will be able to share them all here. In the mean time, if anyone has pictures of adult female specimens that they can share along with variant and locality it would be great :)

Kigoma, Tanzania DCF IMG_2223.JPG

Usambara Mountains Region UMV
IMG_2222.JPG

Kenya DCF
IMG_2221.JPG

Tete, Mozambique BCF
IMG_2220.JPG

Mozambique TCF
IMG_2219.JPG

Hobby TCF
IMG_2218.JPG

Classic/TCF
IMG_2217.JPG

Zimbabwe DCF
IMG_2225.PNG
(Photo posted with permission from Brian Ashby. Mine are still specks)

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I have a noob question - what does “hobby form” mean?
Edit: I’m guessing it just means a form that’s ‘in the hobby.’ I’ve been confused by some uses, mostly in regards to B. albo. But carry on. :p Lovely photos!

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That hobby TCF doesn't look 'typical' at all, it looks like silver! Awesome variety in species, wow.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have a noob question - what does “hobby form” mean?
Edit: I’m guessing it just means a form that’s ‘in the hobby.’ I’ve been confused by some uses, mostly in regards to B. albo. But carry on. :p Lovely photos!
A hobby form is caused by breeding different variants with each other. Sometimes crossing with different species, though that doesnt usually apply to P. murinus

That hobby TCF doesn't look 'typical' at all, it looks like silver! Awesome variety in species, wow.
I have to agree. There are some lovely looking generic TCF out there. Subtle silvers and golds

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Lovely pics as always man. Really hope we see these color forms in the states soon, they’re some of the best looking baboons out there.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
A hobby form is caused by breeding different variants with each other. Sometimes crossing with different species, though that doesnt usually apply to P. murinus
Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Is there a TCF that is specific to the Mombasa area of Kenya? I was given TCF "Mombasa," and I'm not sure if that's the same as other Kenyan TCF or something different.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Is there a TCF that is specific to the Mombasa area of Kenya? I was given TCF "Mombasa," and I'm not sure if that's the same as other Kenyan TCF or something different.
Mombasa would have been the port of exportation. Though there is TCF found around Lake Victoria, Kenya.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I either have RCFs or DCFs. but as slings hah. They are tiny and just as crazy as my OBT tens of years ago.

boina

Lady of the mites
Whenever your Zimbabwe slings are ready for shipping - and weather permitting - please, please, please drop me a note. I need me some of those :wideyed:.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I either have RCFs or DCFs. but as slings hah. They are tiny and just as crazy as my OBT tens of years ago.
You decided to pick some of these guys up, huh?

I'm still waiting on getting these guys until I get a bigger closet... B. E. A. utiful!:astonished:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You decided to pick some of these guys up, huh?

I'm still waiting on getting these guys until I get a bigger closet... B. E. A. utiful!:astonished:
Nope. They were given to me. I thought I was going to give them to someone, he didn't want them either haha. I had an AF many, many years ago.