Color Change Between Molts

Corporal Winters

Arachnopeon
My female A. chalcodes molted for the first time under my care last week. She went from a sandy blonde color to a darker, reddish brown. At first, I assumed “she” was actually a “he”, but upon closer inspection of the molt, I found a prominent spermatheca that I could manipulate with tweezers. I just thought the changes were surprising. Dolores looks like a different spider now! I’ll attach before and after pictures below. What are your experiences with color changes between molts?

Attachments

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
I have two P. Metallica that recently molted. I presume they were both from the same clutch, seeing as they were ordered from the same breeder and were of nearly similar size when they arrived.

My first Metallica molted from a sandy brown color, nearly the same color as the substrate, into an almost dirty-blond color.

My second molted from dark brown to a very dark blue, maybe a shade lighter than navy! So far I’ve been extremely impressed with their color changes. Kinda like waking up on Christmas morning :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Some of the Aphonopelma from the states can take on some pretty dramatic changes as they age. We've recently had this conversation about my Aphonopelma eutylenum who went from a silvery black to blond in one moult at the 3" mark.
Many species will dull down considerably between moults as well. If your female is an adult, then going two to three years between moults is normal. By the time they are getting ready to moult, they can look very different than they did in the first few months directly after moulting.
My Aphonopelma eutylenum directly after her last moult last September.
DSC05800-2-3.jpg
Directly after her moult a couple of weeks ago.
DSC09706-2.jpg
My adult female Aphonopelma chalcodes almost directly after her last moult in July 2018.
Vanessa Sarges_35.jpg