1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collective Nouns for Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by DrAce, Mar 29, 2007.

1. DrAce

DrAce Arachnoangel

Advertisement
    For those who don't know what a collective noun is:
    It's a single noun used to represent a group of similar objects. Think a 'pride' of lions... you can just say 'the pride'
    Or a gaggle of geese
    Or an audit of accountants
    Or a belt of asteroids
    etc

So... what's the collective noun for a group of tarantulas?

In the absence of any I could find, I thought I'd suggest some, to launch the topic.

I propose a 'sac' or 'clutch' of spider eggs (because they're eggs in a sac)

A tickle of spiderlings (they're always 'all legs and hair' when I look at them close)

and a pause of tarantulas (given their habit of doing nothing for endless periods of time)

That being said and done, I think we can find some more interesting ones.

2. Aurelia

Aurelia Arachnoprince Old Timer

Well since they live a solitary life in the wild, I don't think there is one for adults, only the "clutch" or "sac" of slings like you mentioned.

How about a "web" of tarantulas?

3. DrAce

DrAce Arachnoangel

Or, given the structure of the webbing:
    a 'tangle' of tarantulas?

4. Loaf

Loaf Arachnosquire

a fangle of tarantulas

5. DrAce

DrAce Arachnoangel

Sure. I think there should be a reason for the noun, though... why do you think a fangle? Is that a contraction of a fang, and a tangle?

6. Loaf

Loaf Arachnosquire

Exactly!!! But i like your suggestions better.

7. How about a group of tarantulas. :rolleyes:

8. spider_fan

spider_fan Arachnosquire Old Timer

If its a group of B. albopilosum it wouldn't be a stretch to call it a flock.

9. Scott C.

Scott C. Arachnofloater Arachnosupporter

hahaha....

It makes sence for geese, lions, etc. to have words of their own because they are social.... Don't need a word for t's....

That said... I like tangle....

10. DrAce

DrAce Arachnoangel

Well, I think that since we're keeping them in rooms together, they probably need a word.

Mind you, we've been using a 'collection' for those in bins stacked on top of each other...

And 'group' is a non-specific collective noun for everything. Surely we can be more adventurous than that.

11. thread of tarantulas

I like "a thread of tarantulas"....thread because of the silky threads they web up...and also because when u start a thread on this site, it leads to others....lol

12. Derek W.

Derek W. Arachnosquire

A bunch of tarantulas in the wild in a relatively concentrated area is generally called a colony.

13. DrAce

DrAce Arachnoangel

True, I've heard of a colony. But again, I thought we could be more adventurous...

14. Lover of 8 legs

Lover of 8 legs Arachnoknight Old Timer

In these days of technology and Ipods, how about an OCTAPOD of tarantulas?

15. bushbuster

bushbuster Arachnobaron

Yes, thats the proper term. You could always call it a town though, "Come on down...to Tarantula Town" heh

16. Thoth

Thoth Arachnoprince Old Timer

I know for spiders, it is a clutter of spiders. (also accepable is cluster). So a tangle would work since it is in the same vein as clutter.

17. adbdasT

adbdasT Arachnopeon

how about a 'cast' of tarantulas? my $.02

18. Thoth

Thoth Arachnoprince Old Timer

I just thought of one a "dance of tarantulas", a play on the origin of name tarantula.

19. stk5m

stk5m Arachnosquire

Or maybe Tarantuli kinka like ouctopi (sp?) sounds a little funny though....

20. how about a pain in the bum lol