1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Collection Suggestions!!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by MainMann, Jun 12, 2019.

1. MainMann

MainMann Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Oh i see! I will try to find a 4cm sling to sell since they're cheap when small but get really expensive once they reach 5+cm thank you!!

2. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

My N. incei (gold) is always out of sight (at least when I look ;)). Sometimes she sits at the entrance of her web/burrow and waits for food, but that's all I see of her.
    But I admit her takedowns are amazing to watch. :woot:

3. MainMann

That's true but i'm not the most fond of them, maybe it's because I've never got lots of experience with them, so I'll probably pick up a Hapalopus columbien gross or a dolicothele exilis! I just have an affinity for the impressive size of some spiders :p thank you!!!

4. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

My top 8 beginner-friendly species

terrestrial
    • Acanthoscurria geniculata
    • Brachypelma emilia
    • Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
    • Grammostola pulchra

arboreal
    • Avicularia (any you like the look of)
    • Caribena versicolor
    • Psalmopoeus cambridgei (I wouldn't recommend this as a first tarantula, but it could be an option for more experienced beginners)
    honorable mentions
    • Bumba cabocla (almost looks like a cross between a true spider and a tarantula)
    • Davus pentaloris
    • Neoholothele incei (heavy webber, pretty fast)
    • Phormictopus

Mine is reclusive, but I do see her out all the way sometimes when she is hungry. More often, I see her feet sticking out of her main entrance.

5. MainMann

G pulchra and C cyaneopubescens are sooooo expensive here! Slings of C.c can sell for the equivalent of 40 US dollar! I'm comfortable working with speedy and defensive spiders, I have experience with old world species albeit still limited, so i am very much consideing P cambridgei! And as for phormictopus, these guys are also crazy expensive and rare here, so i think I'm ticking that out. B emilia sounds wonderful! And i frankly really enjoy my 3 inch boehmei that never hides, so i might add that to my list, Thank you!!

6. MBArachnids

MBArachnids Arachnosquire Active Member

Well if he doesn't mind fast T's I would go pokies all the way !!

In all seriousness 8 T's is quite limited :p So i get why you want T's that are out and about and colorful to match.

Have you thought about setting up some communal enclosures? So you use the same space but have more T's :D

M. Balfouri
    N. Incei (You get some variants here)
    H. gigas (Only seen on youtube from a hobbyist i follow, maybe a member here can confirm)

I only have one communal setup (Incei) but i have had failures where I had them in a big enclosure and they each had their corner and as soon as one would venture out the other one would jump it and eat the poor guy :( I now have a much smaller enclosure and all 6 T's are still alive and living together after about 18 months.

I am not sure if you are considering something like this, it's just a suggestion and it has brought me joy keeping a communal setup :)

7. MainMann

Keeping communal seems like a fairly cool idea! I'll try to look that up as much as i can before making the jump since i know it can be a big risk, a balfouri communal would look awesome!! Thank youuuu!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Terrestrial
    1 A genic
    2 Phormictopus sp any
    3 Brachypelma Hammori
    4 Grammastola pulchripes
    Arboreal
    1. Caribbena Versicolor
    2. P Cam