Cold weather

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
Just wondering how people keep their tarantulas warm enough especially in winter, does keeping the heating on all day while at work affect people’s energy bills significantly?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I keep my inverts, in Winter, at 23/24° C Day, with at night a drop of 19/20° C. Never had an issue, since early '90.

As far the energy bill a lot depends about the nation in question.

I'm also 'helped' a bit by my country weather... altough I live in the northern part of Italy (so more colder than the rest of the nation, we have a weather similar to the southern France/Switzerland one, basically) our Winters aren't nowhere near colder like Germany, UK etc

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use a ceramic fan heater with a built in thermostat and anti tip switch to keep the room around 25°C, £20 from Aldi.

Doesn't even break onto the highest setting unless I leave every upstairs door in the house open so it's very efficient (it's effectively running at half power when the heating element kicks in).

cold blood

Staff member
This is a perfect subject to search....there are probably hundreds of threads on this very site discussing this topic....again and again.

Short answer is.....

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
Thanks for replies, I will by a heater. Hopefully aldi are still selling those for 20 quid!

I use a ceramic fan heater with a built in thermostat and anti tip switch to keep the room around 25°C, £20 from Aldi.

Doesn't even break onto the highest setting unless I leave every upstairs door in the house open so it's very efficient (it's effectively running at half power when the heating element kicks in).
So you run this all the time and your electric bill still pretty normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So you run this all the time and your electric bill still pretty normal?
It's on all the time in winter and not made a massive difference.

Thanks for replies, I will by a heater. Hopefully aldi are still selling those for 20 quid!
I got mine last year but they've started selling them again now in my local Aldi.

Last edited by a moderator:

MondoMundo

Arachnosquire
@The Grym Reaper Yesterday you mentioned you have a female B.hamorii so I wanted to ask ... mine has been against the glass pretty much exactly like my profile pic since earlier hours sunday morning, shes still in that position now! is that normal? I got her on Saturday.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
@The Grym Reaper Yesterday you mentioned you have a female B.hamorii so I wanted to ask ... mine has been against the glass pretty much exactly like my profile pic since earlier hours sunday morning, shes still in that position now! is that normal? I got her on Saturday.
Yeah, give it a week or so to settle in.