Cold pacs for shipping?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
What does everyone use during summer for shipping?

I have used cryopak phase 22 in the past, but didn't know whats best.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I typically refuse to ship during the hottest months of the summer. If it's not realistic that the receiving location is below 90F, then I just offer to hold (for free) until the heat passes. I'll only agree to ship during that time if they agree to void any and all LAG they would have otherwise gotten.

As for your actual question, my main issue with hot weather tends to be on my end. That is, I live in an area that easily breaks 90F when the rest of the country is still in the low 80'sF or less. So I mainly need to worry about the animal(s) leaving my state. That said, I use those cheap $1 ice packs you find in grocery stores. To be clear, they do not last as long as dedicated cold packs designed for shipping animals or food. I suspect they last just long enough to make it out of my blistering heat. I've been doing it this way for years, and I've never had a death in transit (other than delays in shipping, of course).

Amsferguson

Arachnopeon
Do you use the instant ice packs? I’m shipping my first T (a MM I. Mira to someone with a female for breeding *hopefully) I’m super nervous because it’s record heat right now in Georgia in the mid 90’s where I live but I’m sending him to PA where it looks like it’s high is only going to be mid 70’s.