Coffee Table With Scorpions Inside

Theinternate

Arachnopeon
Hi.

I Saw that someone attempted to make a coffee table enclosure a few years ago on here but they perhaps never finished or stoped posting. I have the same idea. I currently have 1 asian forest scorpion and if this works out plan to get a couple more to go in there.

In my living room I have a coffee table with a metal base that is about 4 ft x 2 ft x 8 inches deep with a piece of glass covering it. I plan to fill with the appropriate substrate and provide a number of hides and dirll some small holes for ventilation in the sides of the metal.

My living room gets a lot of natural light in the day (however not direct sun). At night I spend a considerable amount of time in here and so I have the lights on. If the scorpions have hides will the fact that they are in a room that have lights on at night drive them crazy? If I occasionally put a beer or a cup of coffee on the table is it going to drive the scorpions nuts?

Here is a picture of the corner of the current table. I plan to get supplies and start on this tomorrow. If you have suggestions please let me know. I will update when done.

Here is an example of a nice setup like this. On the other hand there are no hides for the scorpions, bright lights and people constantly dining on it. Absent these problematic things, I hope to make mine somewhat similar:
https://www.courant.com/ctnow/food-drink/hc-geronimo-scorpion-table-new-haven-20170315-story.html

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
A hesitation I had with planning to make something like this is how sensitive scorpions are to vibrations. I'd feel bad any time I put a glass down too hard.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Questions all ethical animal keepers should ask themselves: Is this containment built for the purpose of the health and contentment of the animal? Does this containment promote animal exploitation where the average person will consider having something similar without giving any thought to the animals health and contentment? Is this type of containment in any way promoting proper animal husbandry?

Then to specifics. Asian forest scorpions are photophobic. The only time they are seen in the wild is mating season at night, out looking for romance. They live their entire lives in and under the detritus layers and prefer a cooler moist dark habitat.

And as always, the rule of thumb should be followed: just because the animal has been observed in situation X does not mean this is it's preferred habitat. Knowing the needs of the animal should be paramount.

Last edited:

Theinternate

Arachnopeon
Hi

I appreciate your feedback and have made some adjustments. Any additional feedback would be more than welcome. I did not want to stress her out and so i built a coffee table in a room that gets little light in the day and we don't turn the lights on at night. It is in the entryway to my house and she won't see a lot of human action there although it will be hopefully a nice display to appreciate her occasionally.

I installed plexi siding with 1/4 inch gaps in between the top on the four sides for ventelation. There is a glass top. I put in coco husk substrate mixed with zoo med eco bark. Not pictured here are two hides which I added later. Any feedback would be appreciated. Until this time for at least 2 years she lived in a 2 gallon plastic bin with my neighbor.

IMG_1675.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hi.

I Saw that someone attempted to make a coffee table enclosure a few years ago on here but they perhaps never finished or stoped posting. I have the same idea. I currently have 1 asian forest scorpion and if this works out plan to get a couple more to go in there.

In my living room I have a coffee table with a metal base that is about 4 ft x 2 ft x 8 inches deep with a piece of glass covering it. I plan to fill with the appropriate substrate and provide a number of hides and dirll some small holes for ventilation in the sides of the metal.

My living room gets a lot of natural light in the day (however not direct sun). At night I spend a considerable amount of time in here and so I have the lights on. If the scorpions have hides will the fact that they are in a room that have lights on at night drive them crazy? If I occasionally put a beer or a cup of coffee on the table is it going to drive the scorpions nuts?

Here is a picture of the corner of the current table. I plan to get supplies and start on this tomorrow. If you have suggestions please let me know. I will update when done.

Here is an example of a nice setup like this. On the other hand there are no hides for the scorpions, bright lights and people constantly dining on it. Absent these problematic things, I hope to make mine somewhat similar:
https://www.courant.com/ctnow/food-drink/hc-geronimo-scorpion-table-new-haven-20170315-story.html
Spectacular and the scorpions are communal is well fed correct.
If it works I definitely would like too see how it’s made !!!
Hope someday when I move out I can buy some scorpion miss my emporer!!!