1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cockaroach Egg Thing

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Philth, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    This is a female Hissing roach with her "egg thing" sticking out. Sorry i dont know the offical name of it. I believe the male will come over to this and fertilize it, and then she pulls them back in until there ready to hatch. Some one correct me if im wrong, im not a roach expert. Just thought they were cool pics.

Attached Files:

2. Philth

one more

Attached Files:

3. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Arachnoemperor Old Timer

They're already fertilized at that point. What she is doing is allowing the ootheca to harden by exposing it to air. She'll then pull it back up into a special cavity to keep it protected until it's time for them to hatch.

4. Philth

So how much longer till i got little babies?

5. ORION_DV8

ORION_DV8 Arachnobaron Old Timer

Can they produce an unfertilized ootheca?
    ORION

6. Neo

Neo Arachnosquire Old Timer

I believe they can....

7. LdLrLyChLd

LdLrLyChLd Arachnosquire Active Member

Wow that’s so much longer than a lateralis ootheca, interesting! So they never lay the eggs, just keep them attached for weeks until they hatch? Strange!
    My females drop eggs once they harden and then go and get fertilized again... waste no time waiting for their babies lol