1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cobalt blue sex?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by tnguyen, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tnguyen

tnguyen Arachnopeon

I know the most definitive way to determine is when he or she molts, but I can't wait.

What do you guys think?

photo (1).jpg
  2. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Just as I suspected.

Your Haplopelma lividum is a spider.

We need more info dude. How big is its legspan? Can you get a shot of the book lungs?

Also.....can we see a full shot of the setup....I think I see whole bricks of coco fiber in there...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dr Acula

Dr Acula Arachnobaron

Going to need a clear photo of the first set of booklungs. It's impossible to tell from that angle unless it was a mature male, which it's not :sarcasm:
  4. tnguyen

tnguyen Arachnopeon

Sorry, this was sent to me by a seller. I am going to look at he/she later tonight. It is about 5 months old. I'll know more later. Thanks though.
  5. creepa

creepa Arachnoknight Active Member

That lividum is deffinitly not 5 months old..., a 5 month old lividum is brown.
  6. tnguyen

tnguyen Arachnopeon

He/she is about 2 1/2 inches.
  7. creepa

Then he/she's been power fed..., my H. abostriatums are the same size and they'r 1.5 years old...
  8. fatich

fatich Arachnobaron

it's a %100 female.
  9. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

But how do you know? This species' males become sexually dimorphic only after the maturing molt.
  10. Lopez

Lopez Arachnoking Old Timer

That's quite a bold claim!
  11. fatich

fatich Arachnobaron

tnguyen said it's 2 1/2 inches and it equals to nearly 5cm.Yes i know they are dimorphic,and also I've never seen 5cm mature male Haplopelma lividum.

This spider is my male Haplopelma lividum - adult - and it has 3.5cm body length.

That's why i think it's a female.
  12. creepa

in the U.S. they messure in legspan and in Europe we messure in body length, so 2.5 inch legspan equals approximately 2.5/3 cm body length...
  13. Hobo

The op is from California.
  14. tnguyen

tnguyen Arachnopeon

Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I'll try to get a shot of the lungs, I don't have a camera so getting a clear shot with my camera phone is a pain especially these little guys are so fast.
  15. tnguyen

tnguyen Arachnopeon

Quick update

Ever since I brought her home, she burrowed deep into the substrate and recently webbed up the entrance. I guess she is getting ready to molt. I'll find out if she really is a she in the next coming weeks. Thanks! :biggrin:
  16. Hobo

If you're lucky. Mine has never brought up a shed ever, and I assume she has just plastered it to the walls of her burrow somewhere.