Cobalt blue questions

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok! I still dont think this is the right way to go! I have always pledge for people get long experience before keeping those defenssive old worlds. Do you know how to react in case of rehousing? Better to have experience with a couple of NW first. Theraphosa is not a good starter eigher, but now that you have those, all i can say is good luck with them and watch your fingers!!!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yes I do I have a cobalt blue I have had her for a 3 weeks and she seems to be doing well. I was just asking because I want to keep her as happy as possible I also have a Mexican red knee and a Goliath bird eater
Please try to use scientific names for your tarantulas when referring to their species - I know it seems silly, but you have no idea how many different tarantulas have the common name including "bird eater" and "red knee". While those common names can refer to a plethora of species, the scientific name only refers to one. It helps us identify what you have, and in turn helps us help you when you have questions.

I'm going to guess your other Ts are a Brachypelma hamorii (Mexican red leg) and either a Lasiodora species or possibly Theraphosa stirmi. Both of those are new worlds - your C. lividus however is an old world tarantula, which are known to have borderline nasty defensive behavior, are lightning fast when they bolt, and their venom potency will knock you on your rear for a good week or more. They aren't ones to be played around with, so I sincerely hope you know what you're dealing with and are prepared if you need to mess with your T for any reason.

On the bright side, your T looks like an adult in a cage large enough to suit it as its permanent home, so once she's established and settled in you shouldn't need to dig her up unless something goes wrong in the enclosure.

Jad

Arachnopeon
Ok! I still dont think this is the right way to go! I have always pledge for people get long experience before keeping those defenssive old worlds. Do you know how to react in case of rehousing? Better to have experience with a couple of NW first. Theraphosa is not a good starter eigher, but now that you have those, all i can say is good luck with them and watch your fingers!!!
Thank you! I’ll watch my fingers!

Please try to use scientific names for your tarantulas when referring to their species - I know it seems silly, but you have no idea how many different tarantulas have the common name including "bird eater" and "red knee". While those common names can refer to a plethora of species, the scientific name only refers to one. It helps us identify what you have, and in turn helps us help you when you have questions.

I'm going to guess your other Ts are a Brachypelma hamorii (Mexican red leg) and either a Lasiodora species or possibly Theraphosa stirmi. Both of those are new worlds - your C. lividus however is an old world tarantula, which are known to have borderline nasty defensive behavior, are lightning fast when they bolt, and their venom potency will knock you on your rear for a good week or more. They aren't ones to be played around with, so I sincerely hope you know what you're dealing with and are prepared if you need to mess with your T for any reason.

On the bright side, your T looks like an adult in a cage large enough to suit it as its permanent home, so once she's established and settled in you shouldn't need to dig her up unless something goes wrong in the enclosure.
Ok will do thanks pard! You’ve been helpful for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
I was just kinda thinking maybe she’d been kept in shallow substrate her whole life and never had dug a burrow I bought her from a pet store that kept her in a shallow container with wood shavings.
doesn't mean she doesn't know how. all specimens differ. some take a while to settle in and others don't. as said above though, usually burrowing species can take a while.

Edit: i see u made another post regarding temperature and humidity, which leads me to believe u don't know much about the animal u have, so i'll leave u this link for some insight.
they also have very painful venom, so please be careful and never underestimate it's speed. u shouldn't really have any problems until u have to rehouse it as long as u give it enough dirt. gud luk

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yes I do I have a cobalt blue I have had her for a 3 weeks and she seems to be doing well. I was just asking because I want to keep her as happy as possible I also have a Mexican red knee and a Goliath bird eater
Pretty much any T in the hobby can be kept “happily” at ‘room temp’ so regardless of species normal household temps are fine.

In relation to humidity, the main concern with having the right humidity is keeping the air around the book lungs humid enough to keep the T from loosing too much moisture. since the book lungs are on the underside of the spiders, the inly place where humidity matters is directly above ground level. Not where you can measure with a typical cheapo gage from the petstore. Because of the humidity location needs, it is best and easiest to achieve by simply keeping the substrate lightly moistened. You can also view it more like an on/off than a range. for any given species, it should either get moist substrate or dry substrate. you don’t need to worry about any numbers. because of how simple it is and how over complicated new taratula keepers make it. Many people have decided take a “humidity doesn’t matter stance which has (funcionally) oversimplified the concept to a level of inaccuracy IMO (again it is functional for care, but still misinformation if you ask me)

Additionally, when looking for information, if you will use the scientific name, you will almost certainly get better results.

(i think my post turned into rambling but hopefully at least a bit of it is helpful...

Jad

Arachnopeon
Pretty much any T in the hobby can be kept “happily” at ‘room temp’ so regardless of species normal household temps are fine.

In relation to humidity, the main concern with having the right humidity is keeping the air around the book lungs humid enough to keep the T from loosing too much moisture. since the book lungs are on the underside of the spiders, the inly place where humidity matters is directly above ground level. Not where you can measure with a typical cheapo gage from the petstore. Because of the humidity location needs, it is best and easiest to achieve by simply keeping the substrate lightly moistened. You can also view it more like an on/off than a range. for any given species, it should either get moist substrate or dry substrate. you don’t need to worry about any numbers. because of how simple it is and how over complicated new taratula keepers make it. Many people have decided take a “humidity doesn’t matter stance which has (funcionally) oversimplified the concept to a level of inaccuracy IMO (again it is functional for care, but still misinformation if you ask me)

Additionally, when looking for information, if you will use the scientific name, you will almost certainly get better results.

(i think my post turned into rambling but hopefully at least a bit of it is helpful...
No it was all helpful for sure thank you so much!

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
Hey all, since there is already a thread about enclosures for cyrios, i'll add mine here. So, ours did her thing where she burrowed under her coconut shell and put dirt on each side so she was totally boxed in. She was in there for many weeks,so I decided to peak. Turns out, there is a GIANT puddle of water in there.. Was she trying to make a pool or should i clean it (because i am trying to sop it up cuz there's like poop in it...) She had web on the floor so it was not draining really well. What to do?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Hey all, since there is already a thread about enclosures for cyrios, i'll add mine here. So, ours did her thing where she burrowed under her coconut shell and put dirt on each side so she was totally boxed in. She was in there for many weeks,so I decided to peak. Turns out, there is a GIANT puddle of water in there.. Was she trying to make a pool or should i clean it (because i am trying to sop it up cuz there's like poop in it...) She had web on the floor so it was not draining really well. What to do?
I can guarantee you that there isn't a tarantula on earth that would purposely flood its burrow and they certainly would have no need for a swimming pool

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
Thank you Paul...I don't feel as guilty for destructing her webbed carpet then. They're tough when they go and burrow like that, because you don't want to bother them and you don't know if they're alive. Now she's flooded and I'm not sure how to get it unflooded because she is, well, a jerk.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Thank you Paul...I don't feel as guilty for destructing her webbed carpet then. They're tough when they go and burrow like that, because you don't want to bother them and you don't know if they're alive. Now she's flooded and I'm not sure how to get it unflooded because she is, well, a jerk.
If it was me, I'd just leave it be and let the enclosure dry out a little. But, I have to fight to keep moisture in my enclosures, so it might take a lot longer for yours to dry out on it's own.

I doubt it's even really a threat to the T, but it sounds pretty gross lol

Here's my crazy idea. No clue if this would work because I haven't seen the enclosure, if you could post a picture that would be helpful.

Take out the water dish, or anything loose in the enclosure, and lay it on it's side with the burrow on top? I don't know what your vent situation is, but you could try tilting it in a way that lets extra water drain out.

Oooor, stuff some dry sphagnum moss in the burrow to soak up the water maybe?

JackieBugGrl

Arachnopeon
Good ideas, Mirandarachnid! I will post pictures later. I told my husband it needs cleaned and he said it would be hard, and I said "you bought her...." IT is gross.....i mean, if she did it on purpose it's at least impressive that she can build her own spa. We had humidity retention issues too, mainly in the winter. This summer has been relatively humid in my city, and our central air isn't that awesome in the bedroom where she is, so it was like 95 this morning when i left for work. I told my husband no more water in the substrate until it's gone, but, it's nasty and it smells lol