Cobalt blue questions

Jad

Arachnopeon
So I made a starter burrow for her but she won’t stay in it she’ll go in sometimes but then she will just go back over in the corner by her log I’m confused why she won’t burrow further into it or even just stay in it it’s big enough for her to fit her body into and deep enough as well with about 4 more inches to add to if she wants

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So I made a starter burrow for her but she won’t stay in it she’ll go in sometimes but then she will just go back over in the corner by her log I’m confused why she won’t burrow further into it or even just stay in it it’s big enough for her to fit her body into and deep enough as well with about 4 more inches to add to if she wants
How big is the Tarantula?

Did you recently rehouse it?

What substrate are you using?

Also can you post a picture of the enclosure?

Jad

Arachnopeon
It’s about 3-4 inches and I use coco fiber or eco earth and yea I just bought her about 3 weeks ago

Liquifin

Arachnoking
How deep is the substrate? Sometimes they take longer to adjust than normal, so it doesn't seem too bad as long as you provide a good amount of substrate to burrow when she's ready to burrow and adjusted to her new home. Even if it's 3 weeks, I would still suggest to give her some more time to adjust to her new home.

Jad

Arachnopeon
Substrate is about 8 inches and yea I’ve heard that some won’t burrow for about a month and some like 3 months. I was just kinda thinking maybe she’d been kept in shallow substrate her whole life and never had dug a burrow I bought her from a pet store that kept her in a shallow container with wood shavings. But I’d picked her up the day she go there she was special ordered

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
It’s about 3-4 inches and I use coco fiber or eco earth and yea I just bought her about 3 weeks ago
Im sure you have the substrate moist too right? If too wet I could see it trying to get away from the substrate, also. Thats why a picture will help alot.

Substrate is about 8 inches and yea I’ve heard that some won’t burrow for about a month and some like 3 months. I was just kinda thinking maybe she’d been kept in shallow substrate her whole life and never had dug a burrow I bought her from a pet store that kept her in a shallow container with wood shavings. But I’d picked her up the day she go there she was special ordered
Is this your first Tarantula?

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Why not just provide a picture? That'll certainly shorten the amount of questions being asked and it'll give us a picture of whatever is going on.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Okay, it doesn't seem too bad. Just leave it alone and give it time to itself. I would a little bit more moisture to the substrate (just my preference). Other than that, I don't see any issues whatsoever.

Jad

Arachnopeon
Okay, it doesn't seem too bad. Just leave it alone and give it time to itself. I would a little bit more moisture to the substrate (just my preference). Other than that, I don't see any issues whatsoever.
Ok awesome thank you but you know why it just leaves the hole and goes and huddled in the corner tho? She is always in the corner

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Ok awesome thank you but you know why it just leaves the hole and goes and huddled in the corner tho? She is always in the corner
Maybe still adjusting to the new enclosure.

Jad

Arachnopeon
So there’s a ton of people saying different things about temp and humidity with these guys and I’m just looking for some more opinions on it. Also what about ventilation? How much should you have?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Burrowing species can need much longer to settle in sometimes. I had an E.cyanognathus huddling in a corner for a month, and my E.pachypus did the same. Just top off the waterdish and add a little water to the substrate. After that I would place her in a dark corner so she has the opportunity to acclimatize.
What other species do you keep?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Sounds like you're looking up care sheets, which tend to be sorely inaccurate. You're better off looking for your information on tarantula care here. Ignore the concept of humidity - it does not apply to tarantulas. Assuming you mean Cyriopagopus lividus when you refer to "Cobalt Blue", they just require room temperature (anywhere from 65-85F will do just fine) and deep, moist substrate. You'll want a decent amount of ventilation to avoid the moist substrate from making the enclosure humid and stuffy, which can cause health issues with the T and lead to mold.

Do you have any experience with keeping tarantulas?

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They should be kept on moist sub and a temp between 21-26 degrees celcius
If you ask those questions i reckon you font have much experience with tarantulas? Am i right?
If you dont this speicies is not suiteble at all. They are highly defenssive spiders with nasty venom! Pick a more suitable tarantula instead!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
You'll also very rarely see these guys as they will be in their burrows the majority of the time.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
They should be kept on moist sub and a temp between 21-26 degrees celcius
If you ask those questions i reckon you font have much experience with tarantulas? Am i right?
If you dont this speicies is not suiteble at all. They are highly defenssive spiders with nasty venom! Pick a more suitable tarantula instead!
User already has the tarantula - he has another thread asking about why his T keeps leaving the starter burrow. Says it's not his only T but hasn't specified what species he has kept prior.

Jad

Arachnopeon
Sounds like you're looking up care sheets, which tend to be sorely inaccurate. You're better off looking for your information on tarantula care here. Ignore the concept of humidity - it does not apply to tarantulas. Assuming you mean Cyriopagopus lividus when you refer to "Cobalt Blue", they just require room temperature (anywhere from 65-85 will do just fine) and deep, moist substrate. You'll want a decent amount of ventilation to avoid the moist substrate from making the enclosure humid and stuffy, which can cause health issues with the T and lead to mold.

Do you have any experience with keeping tarantulas?
Yes I do I have a cobalt blue I have had her for a 3 weeks and she seems to be doing well. I was just asking because I want to keep her as happy as possible I also have a Mexican red knee and a Goliath bird eater

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yes I do I have a cobalt blue I have had her for a 3 weeks and she seems to be doing well. I was just asking because I want to keep her as happy as possible I also have a Mexican red knee and a Goliath bird eater
They are not difficult to care for to be honest, moist deep sub and kept at a suitable temp is all they need.
Good luck.