cobalt blue or green bottle blue?

Nokturnal1980

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have always been happy having a cobalt around. I find it funny that you need to feed a hole in the ground. Pet rocks were popular once.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
To be honest, H. lividum (cobalt blue) is my favourite species right now, though I only have a sling. It sometimes goes MIA for weeks, month(s), but it's a special occasion when it shows itself. It's awesome to watch it "hunt" though. I don't know how much experience do you have with Ts, I see it's gonna be your third one. If I were you I'd go with the GBB: more visible, probably less likely to bite, easier to care for.

RiPz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a cobalt blue, moving it from its shipping container into its terrarium was a feat, the thing made a break for it, took me about half an hour to catch it.. not the nicest thing to be chasing around your bedroom.

GBB is on my list of "must haves"

Zeus9699

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
choice

I have quite a few of both and I can handle almost all of my Green Bottleblues. I have never seen anyone handle a cobalt blue. As some of the other members responded, the cobalt will burrow while the GBB will remain in the open. You do have to watch out for the urticating hairs on the GBB.....that's about the only negative.

Mark (Animal Magic)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm also suggesting the GBB. Cobalts (h lividum) can be tricky for a new guy. In addition to the speed, pet-holishness and fangitude they also have humidity requirements that are a little challenging to maintain. Mold is a constant threat unless you utilize isopods or springtails and they have their own requirements that need to be met.

Haplopelmas in general are stunning looking t's but you never see them. I think a lot of new keepers buy them based on appearance without realizing how seldom they really poke their heads (or toes) out.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
No misting required. I put my 2" GBB in a bone dry setup and its now 3". I NEVER mist. Its just not necessary. You can see the moss I put in dried out. I just put it there for decorations. I have seen my GBB drink water from its water dish.
Yes if you have a water dish misting is not necessary but ith many GBBs they will eventually web up the entire enclosure making use of a water dish impractical if not impossible. Second relative humidity (RH) in San Diego is a lot higher than MA especial during the winter months with the heating (having lived there for 6 years I've had RH drop below 10%) so misting is needed.

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had both multiple times and am fans of both but would recommend the GBB over the Cobalt any day. They are both very beautiful tarantulas but you really can't appreciate the blue coloring of the cobalt unless you look at it under direct sunlight or with the flash on your camera. Like others mentioned they will burrow and you will rarely see them and they do have some pretty specific humidity requirements. The GBB looks great in even the worst lighting and the webbing they do is amazing! In my experience the GBB are more skittish and can be lightning fast so care should be taken when opening the enclosure. Good luck!

xodustrance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yahhh, chalk me up to one of those new collectors who thought this would be a gem of specie to have on display. I have seen her 3 times in the short time I have had her. Those times I did see her, were so late in the morning (3am) that it really wasnt pleasent being up.

So I just ordered a GBB from a seller here. :razz: :) {D

You will end up getting both eventually. Just take pleasure in the fact H Lividums are dirt cheap for such a beautiful spider, so get the GBB now, and a cobalt when you are feeling impulsive.

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i vote for the lividum!.....after all its your 3rd! well my lividum is my 3rd too but it will be fine for me!!

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
lol, why is it that funny? i just thought it was wierd they replied to a thread that was loong gone

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just the fact that your deadpan response wasn't intentionally meant to be quite cutting, but it so was. That made me laugh.

It's the searchers (bless them) that end up resurrecting these threads, always gets a good few laughs in if they clearly haven't realised :D

lol, why is it that funny? i just thought it was wierd they replied to a thread that was loong gone

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're damned if you do, damned if you don't (search)...

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Quite right :D

I however don't mind on resurrection of threads if the contributor realises and does it intentionally to carry on the topic that perhaps could be further explored.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't (search)...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, yeah, but that's obviously not the case here.