Cobalt Blue not eating

Cobalt_Rachel

Arachnopeon
Hey. I got this cobalt blue T from a pet store about six months ago. Right before I got her (they said it was a she, but i'm not sure lol) she had molted, at least according to them. I just moved into my apartment about two weeks ago. I noticed that she hadn't eaten any cricket i offered her for a week before i moved (of course i took the thing out if she hadn't eaten it in a day and offered it later) and I figured she was just in pre-molt, but now its been almost three weeks since she's eaten anything, and i'm beginning to get worried. Is she just stressed from the move? She comes out more, and i've noticed she likes hanging out in the corner of her tank near her heat lamp, and she drinks plenty, but she wont attack a cricket even if it touches her legs. She's still pretty feisty :), is she in premolt? THe room is a little less than 80 degrees, and i mist her aquarium daily. Am i doing something wrong? I hope not! hope you guys can help! Thanks! Rachel

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First thing that comes to mind is a mature male. Is she blue? Can you get a picture?

If she isn't a mature male, then as long as her abdomen isn't shriveled or small she should be fine. I don't wanna say premolt since you say shes out alot and moving, but just make sure you keep a full waterdish in her tank.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Would help to know the approx size..

But I only hope for your sake it's not a MM.. :8o

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just based off that picture I am going to say it's way to dry. A liberal soaking of the substrate would be better then a misting. In between soakings allow the substrate to dry out some as well before soaking it again. She looks fat enough. And from the picture it does not look like a MM. How big is she?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Well, there she is, she's still blue. and she isnt really that big of a spider...
Nope definately not a mature male, but it is too dry in there. Like Ryan said, I too do the soakings every couple of weeks. Moisten up the substrate by just simply pouring water on all surface levels of the substrate. Usually when a female wanders around her cage, it means shes unhappy or hungry(but you says shes not eating so this could be ruled out).

oOINOVAIOo

Arachnopeon
Nope definately not a mature male, but it is too dry in there. Like Ryan said, I too do the soakings every couple of weeks. Moisten up the substrate by just simply pouring water on all surface levels of the substrate. Usually when a female wanders around her cage, it means shes unhappy or hungry(but you says shes not eating so this could be ruled out).
How can you tell the different of a mature male or not from the photo?

oOINOVAIOo

Arachnopeon
Man, if mine turns out to be a male, I'm going to be flat out pissed. lol Are they at least blue during their juvi stages and such or not at all??

My sling has taints of blue on his/her leg, and has markings on her rear. Also has little brown hairs. :eek:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man, if mine turns out to be a male, I'm going to be flat out pissed. lol Are they at least blue during their juvi stages and such or not at all??

My sling has taints of blue on his/her leg, and has markings on her rear. Also has little brown hairs. :eek:
Males are blue until their maturing molt. So you will atleast enjoy some blue if it does turn out male..:eek:

Cobalt_Rachel

Arachnopeon
moisture positive.

thanks guys. i'd say she's about 2 and a half to three, by four or so inches. But i've never been awesome at guessing measurements haha.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just to be a worry wart I have to ask you how deep the substrate is, because that particular substrate you are using does not seem suitable at all to me, for a cobalt blue not being able to be in a whole their hole life (hehe) will definately die.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just to be a worry wart I have to ask you how deep the substrate is, because that particular substrate you are using does not seem suitable at all to me, for a cobalt blue not being able to be in a whole their hole life (hehe) will definately die.
Ah, you bring up a good point! I didn't notice at first, but the substrate really doesn't look deep at all. Rachel how deep is the substrate?

Cobalt_Rachel

Arachnopeon
it's eight inches deep. when i got her they never said anything about it, but i was reading later and it said to make it 8 inches deep. So, i did. I dont want her to fall! that would be horrible! :)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One thing I'd like to mention is that if she is out more, that is a sure sign of abnormal H. lividum stress syndrome (hehe) What kind of burrows has she developed (if any?) since you got her?

No matter your answer I highly recommend you change that substrate out ASAP, they can't build homes out of bone dry bark chips. (dunno what it is, but that's what it looks like to me..)

Everything will be all good and fine with you cobalt blue if you haven't seen her shadow in the past 6 weeks.

Good luck

I also think that even though they need deep substrate for burrowing, I don't think the species will readily climb glass cage walls, unless stressed..

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it's eight inches deep. when i got her they never said anything about it, but i was reading later and it said to make it 8 inches deep. So, i did. I dont want her to fall! that would be horrible! :)
Good, but it's not just about her falling, this species is an obliagte burrower. They need room to burrow to live stress-free and happy lives.