Close call and a good lesson

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What a mess I just about got myself into. Earlier, I was going through my collection and I came across one of my A. versicolor that looked very odd. She was hanging on the side of the enclosure with and head up and hanging on by three legs. All the other legs were just dangleing. I used my brush and touched her but there was no response. I thought "oh no, what is going on here." She had not dispayed anything odd just a few days ago so I couldn't imagine what might be the problem. Since she was not around any webbing, I reached in and took her out. Still, no response. I set up an ICU to have ready but I held off on putting her in untill I could determine what might be the problem. I set up a shallow water dish and layed her on the side so she could get a drink. Still, nothing. So my last option to revive her was to turn her on her back, in the palm of my hand and put a couple of drops of water on her mouth. Right after I did that, she started to move and twitch. I couldn't imagine her being dehydated as I keep all my arboreals enclosures misted at least once a week and I've seen all of them drink. But, I suppose it was possible. As she was twitching and squirming around in my hand, I started to look closer and I recognized what she was doing. She was MOLTING. :eek: I sat there for the next thirty minutes mad at myself for messing with her but she was in an awfully strange possition before I pulled her out. Then I thought, how am I going to get her back in there unharmed. Then I remembered the ICU I had just set up so I figured that would the my best option untill she recovers from the molt. Finally, when she flipped back over on her feet, I tilted the ICU cup on it's side and coaxed her in. I'm happy to say, the molt was successful and she was unharmed in all of this and recovering nicely. The lesson here is, when you see something odd, don't jump in and try to do something then and there. Wait a bit and assess the situation so you can make a good decision that won't possibly cause more problems, and always be prepared. There was no way I could have set up an ICU with her in mid molt in the palm of my hand so always have one ready to go, just in case. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that's pretty wild. Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad she molted successfully!

fang333999

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah man, that happened to me once with my avic. i came home, and saw her hanging from the wall of her enclosure i didnt know what happened i was freaking out. but i looked closer and saw she was molting under all those legs :D it sucked though because she was hanging sort of high so i put a bunch of paper towls in there for her to land on , a very short distance

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, thanks for posting that. I have 2 Avics that spend their time just hangin' around and probably I would have had a similar response to seeing what you saw had I not read your posting. Just last night I was wondering what these little arboreals do when it's moulting time. Thanks again for sharing and I'm happy your experience ended up being a good one. :)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had to intervene several times during molts, mostly to ease out a stuck limb, and got no loss in the process over dozens of times. Actually the losses were unattended molt turning bad. The trick is to move extremely slowly, if possible avoid any contact with the newly exposed abdomen. Whenever I have to touch, I try to maneuver the molt rather than the actual spider. If the legs are half way out you'll be able to lift the animal with little disturbance. Of course this has to be done in extreme case of emergency. If the spider has to be deposited elsewhere than on molting mat, it MUST be ultra soft and slightly moist. If very slow motion seems unnoticed, any shaking or rough move might stress the animal.

I don't know why, but it seems easier toward the end of the process rather than when the animal is still on his back and into the old skin. Perhaps I feel that they are more risks that the animal gets stuck inside due to some nervous impulse. When only a few articles of the legs still int, this eventuality is less likely.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the input. You have some good suggestions. Have you ever had one start molting in your hand? It's quite an experience to say the least.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that is quite "nice" ;O the hell of an experience ;O cool. gratz