Clear container

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I don't know if I would try this but if you really want to add vent holes to an aquarium then it is possible . Drill the holes , clean them up and pop in a round vents .
I know you're supposed to start the drilling at an angle, but why is that?

@Ceymann might you know why, being the resident aquarium expert =)

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I know you're supposed to start the drilling at an angle, but why is that?
I think it's to stop the drill bit from dancing around in the glass and leaving a bunch of scrapes and scratches . I haven't drilled glass but I have drilled into tile and they say the same thing about starting on an angle .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it's to stop the drill bit from dancing around in the glass and leaving a bunch of scrapes and scratches . I haven't drilled glass but I have drilled into tile and they say the same thing about starting on an angle .
Thanks that's what I thought, but not having done either, I could only speculate.

cold blood

Staff member

I don't know if I would try this but if you really want to add vent holes to an aquarium then it is possible . Drill the holes , clean them up and pop in a round vents .
Yeah, but now you have those mesh circular vents....I absolutely hate those....drilled ventilation is far superior.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, but now you have those mesh circular vents....I absolutely hate those....drilled ventilation is far superior.
There's a company called midget louvers I believe. But what Boris said is correct. There's plenty of companies that sell plastic venting that can be used for Ts. I do prefer drilled holes myself. In the case, I'd probably go w/the plastics just to reduce the probability of breaking the glass from drilling so much.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
There's a company called midget louvers I believe. But what Boris said is correct. There's plenty of companies that sell plastic venting that can be used for Ts. I do prefer drilled holes myself. In the case, I'd probably go w/the plastics just to reduce the probability of breaking the glass from drilling so much.
Yes midgetlouver.com does exists , but there are a lot of other places that sell them .

Abyss

Arachnoknight
If you want a cheap solition do this.......

1) Buy whatever size sterilite container you desire.
2) Stand it on its end.
3) Cut the lid out (leave a lip around the edge)
4) Glue a piece of plexiglass or acrylic in where you cut the lid out (thats why you left a lip).
5) view your T through the crystal clear front you just created.
thats a small super stacker box but those are the same as the sterilite ones the OP refered to. They are just smaller so if you do what i did for this enclosure you have the same result but fir an adult T.

Cheap cheap solution :)

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
What's your price range? For about $30-$40, you'd be able to buy an aquarium, acrylic, and hinges to just make your own. Turn the aquarium up on it's side, get Lowe's to cut the acrylic for you to size, make a feeding door out of the hinges, and you're golden.

Check this out, it's the same idea. The acrylic is held in place by neodymium magnets. I made it not too long ago.
@EulersK how did you attach the magnets?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK how did you attach the magnets?
I roughed them up with sandpaper and superglued them to the frame. But be warned, the superglue discolors the acrylic by turning it foggy around the application site. I'm sure hot glue would be sufficient, honestly.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I roughed them up with sandpaper and superglued them to the frame. But be warned, the superglue discolors the acrylic by turning it foggy around the application site. I'm sure hot glue would be sufficient, honestly.
Thanks! I'm trying to figure out an acrylic lid for a glass aquarium. Just want to make it escape proof! Do you think these magnets could work in the corners (and not do the feed door)?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thanks! I'm trying to figure out an acrylic lid for a glass aquarium. Just want to make it escape proof! Do you think these magnets could work in the corners (and not do the feed door)?
Not make the feed door at all, or not put magnets around the feed door? If you make the feeding door, you have to put magnets in the middle. If not, it's able to bow upwards quite easily. If you skip the feeding door all together, then yeah, four corners would suffice. These magnets are quite strong.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Not make the feed door at all, or not put magnets around the feed door? If you make the feeding door, you have to put magnets in the middle. If not, it's able to bow upwards quite easily. If you skip the feeding door all together, then yeah, four corners would suffice. These magnets are quite strong.
Yeah I'm thinking no feed door at all- just magnets and some kind of handle to pull it off easily.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah I'm thinking no feed door at all- just magnets and some kind of handle to pull it off easily.
Then yeah, that would work perfectly. You can buy those magnets for about $10 at Home Depot. Now that I'm typing this, I remember that they also sell some with holes in the middle. You could use that hole to put a screw through, just a thought. Personally, I'd stick with the glue idea. If you don't know how to cut acrylic, Lowe's will do it for free.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Then yeah, that would work perfectly. You can buy those magnets for about $10 at Home Depot. Now that I'm typing this, I remember that they also sell some with holes in the middle. You could use that hole to put a screw through, just a thought. Personally, I'd stick with the glue idea. If you don't know how to cut acrylic, Lowe's will do it for free.
Thank you! I can cut acrylic but with the tools I have it looks pretty bad. I'll have then do it at Lowes. Thanks!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thank you! I can cut acrylic but with the tools I have it looks pretty bad. I'll have then do it at Lowes. Thanks!
If you plan on making a few of these, pick yourself up an inexpensive Dremel. Don't get the one with all the extra bits, all you need is the fiberglass cutoff wheel. I made a video where I show how to cut acrylic with a Dremel, the results look pretty nice.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
If you plan on making a few of these, pick yourself up an inexpensive Dremel. Don't get the one with all the extra bits, all you need is the fiberglass cutoff wheel. I made a video where I show how to cut acrylic with a Dremel, the results look pretty nice.

I'll check it out. I have a Dremel, so I'd just need the cutoff wheel. I saw it linked in another thread on here. Thanks!