Cleaning pede's cage with mealworms

Myron

Arachnopeon
Hey all its been awhile, so my pede is thriving and has been for a monthish now, in his current environment. I use creature soil and typically chnge it every few weeks. I recently bought some live mealworms and was wondering if i dropped a few in there would they clean the creature soil and make it last longer or would it be useless or more of a risk to my pede?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
There’ll usually be no need to ever clean the soil. Chances are the centipede will eat the mealworms or if it molts the mealworms will eat the centipede

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Springtails are a much better (the best IMO) cleaner with zero chance of harming any invert. I use them in most of my invert enclosures. Most because they won't tolerate dry conditions. They are edible too, so you don't have worry about keeping them with pedelings.

Myron

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the answers; another question though, i put a mealworm in with my pede and the pede didnt bother to attack the worm, will he just dig it up later?

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the answers; another question though, i put a mealworm in with my pede and the pede didnt bother to attack the worm, will he just dig it up later?
It's best not to do this, as the mealworm will likely dig itself in the substrate, which creates two problems:
  1. You won't know if the pede ate it
  2. It could come back and attack the pede when moulting
It's best to remove uneaten prey, in general, but mealworms especially. Also not that you can pre-kill the mealworms to avoid this problem, just squeeze the head.

Myron

Arachnopeon
It's best not to do this, as the mealworm will likely dig itself in the substrate, which creates two problems:
It's best to remove uneaten prey, in general, but mealworms especially. Also not that you can pre-kill the mealworms to avoid this problem, just squeeze the head.
Lol i didnt really think of killing the worm... i usually cripple the crickets but i guess in this case, killing it would be the way to go. I think after this ill just go back to crickets... unless i can find a more interesting prey

Myron

Arachnopeon
Also whats yalls oppinions on the while rollie pollie/ pill bug tank cleaner thing? Could they pose a risk to the pede as well?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Also whats yalls oppinions on the while rollie pollie/ pill bug tank cleaner thing? Could they pose a risk to the pede as well?
I'd just stick with the springtails. They're harmless and do a fantastic job cleaning up any leftovers.

If you're unable to actually wait for your pede to take meal/morio worms crush their heads completely.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've never used them but I've read that some species can turn carnivorous as well.

Myron

Arachnopeon
So ive seen people refer to springtails several places now, and i finally googled it... wtf is that thing and where do i find it lmao

basin79

ArachnoGod
So ive seen people refer to springtails several places now, and i finally googled it... wtf is that thing and where do i find it lmao
I bought a couple of cultures as I wanted to use them straight away. From those I let them breed and moved them in to other enclosures.

Myron

Arachnopeon
Lol i meant natural enviro, but im using google rn. a little background on my situatuon: i live in hawaii so ordering things is a pain and overly expensive. My pede i went and caught out in the jungle down the street (free lol)and the only things ive been paying for is his container, substrate and prey.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Lol i meant natural enviro, but im using google rn. a little background on my situatuon: i live in hawaii so ordering things is a pain and overly expensive. My pede i went and caught out in the jungle down the street (free lol)and the only things ive been paying for is his container, substrate and prey.
Sorry, should have checked where you live. Good news is they are found world wide: .https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/wildlife/files/2013/09/Fact-Sheet-Collembola-springtails.pdf .

I've never collected wild ones, but you should be able to find some in damp leaf litter. Keep it damp and add brewers yeast and any organic non-processed food, you shold get some results.