Classic Rookie Mistake

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
So, I panicked and overreacted in what I can now see is a classic rookie mistake. Two days ago, during routine maintenance, I noticed some white floaters in the water caps in both my sling enclosures. Knowing T's sometimes poo in their water, I observed the white floaters, which seemed to be moving, and then noticed the same white specks moving around in the substrate underneath the water. "Oh, no!" I thought. "MITES!!" :anxious:

Convinced my poor babies were on the verge of death from these tiny lurking menaces, I set into action of gently but quickly removing my slings (stressing them out in the process, of course) and sterilizing and replacing EVERYTHING in their enclosures. After this hour-long process, I finally picked up my phone and took to AB to see how much danger my babies were in and if I caught the "problem" in time. That's when I discovered my mistake.

After searching and reading many other threads about mites with other noobs describing EXACTLY what I just saw (tiny, round white mites under the water bowl), and more experienced keepers explaining that these were actually CLEANER mites I flipped out over, I felt foolish. I just stressed out my slings and destroyed their homes for nothing.

Now, two days later, they're both staying hidden in the tiny starter holes I made for them at the corner of their enclosures (in hopes that I could possibly see them in their burrows). My B. albo, who had dug out beautiful, elaborate tunnels before (which I destroyed :sorry:) just hollowed out the hole I gave her and has been sitting in the bottom ever since. No tunnels. My B. vagans, who never tunneled before, took to his new hole with gusto and hollowed it out a bit as well, then sealed himself off. I can see them moving through their "windows" so I know they're ok. But I know they're really stressed right now, too, so I'm leaving them alone for a few days before I try feeding again. I feel bad for the unnecessary stress I caused these tiny creatures, and I just thought I'd share my experience so maybe another noob can learn from this noob's mistake. In the future, ask Arachnoboards first.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My B. albo, who had dug out beautiful, elaborate tunnels before (which I destroyed :sorry:) just hollowed out the hole I gave her and has been sitting in the bottom ever since. No tunnels.
B. albopilosum slings certainly love to tunnel! I bet yours is just waiting for artistic inspiration on a new project and will have grand halls once again before too long.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
B. albopilosum slings certainly love to tunnel! I bet yours is just waiting for artistic inspiration on a new project and will have grand halls once again before too long.
I sure hope so. I really enjoy watching her work on her tunnels and then change them up the next day. She seemed to never be satisfied with it lol. I hope she starts again soon.

cold blood

Staff member
You're fine...no biggie. Mites are an annoyance, but rarely life threatening to a t, Next time just dry it out...mites are very intolerant of dry conditions....removing the water dish during this time is also something to consider.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think all of us learn from things of this sort when we are new to the hobby. I have had my share as well.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Don't feel bad for your T's..they'll set up shop again in no time. They could be just getting ready to molt ;)

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I think I would have already had a nervous breakdown by now if it hadn't been for this site and all of you experienced collectors with your infinite wisdom to alleviate my worries and to learn from (not eating, humidity/ventilation, care sheet inaccuracy, etc.). ;):)

Don't feel bad for your T's..they'll set up shop again in no time. They could be just getting ready to molt ;)
Thank you, I've been thinking my B. vagans might be premolt cuz his little bum is getting shiny and he seems a bit darker.