class pet

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am thinking about getting a tarantula for my classroom. Is this a good idea? I think it would be fascinating for the kids to watch. I have 1-5 grade. I want low maintenance and not something that the children can hold, just observe.
If so, what bread is easy and best for first time owner?
Not a good idea, better animals that are active. Ts are pet rocks.

BTW, bread...maybe you meant breed...they are not dogs. Each is a unique species. Is your class a science class, if so please don't use breed OR bread.

Where is the best place to purchase one?
DO NOT buy from Blackwater!

I want the kids to see it and watch it,
Compared to other exotic animals, there is nothing to watch. PET ROCKS. I would get a lizard, or a snake or something else

Last edited by a moderator:

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Also, is it better to take them out and feed them in a separate cage? someone suggested that? or does that add on stress to the T?
Do not remove the tarantula from the container you house it in until it is ready to be upgraded to a larger container. It is stressful to not only the tarantula if you're trying to remove it from its established enclosure, but it will be stressful to you as well. The last thing you want to do is go chasing after a freaked out tarantula. These guys can boogie! Feeding should be done with forceps/tongs. Do not hand feed at all. The person who recommended feeding a tarantula using a separate cage is talking nonsense. This is a reptile hobby practice that does not transfer over to tarantula keeping. In fact, there is no scientific evidence that this practice is worth doing even amongst keeping reptiles such as snakes (particularly venomous snakes such as Elapidae ["Cobra" family], Crotalidae [Pit Viper family], Viperidae [True Viper family], or extremely venomous Colubridae ["Rear Fang Snakes" family] like Boomslangs). Disregard the suggestion to feed your tarantulas using a separate container.

The container you've decided to house the tarantula in is the container you should be feeding the tarantula in.

Last edited:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantula as a class pet is a great idea and from experience I can tell you it’s educational and interesting. I’ve helped my mother set up classroom tarantulas every semester for the past three, she had a G porteri, a B smithi and then a C versicolor. Each week one student took a turn to drop a cricket inside and they could see the T set up their home.

I don’t think grade 1-2 would be a good idea, but grade 3 onwards is a good age where they can enjoy watching without interacting. Maybe grade 2 depending on the kids

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Compared to other exotic animals, there is nothing to watch. PET ROCKS. I would get a lizard, or a snake or something else
Ehhh yeah but I think the exposure is enough to be “exciting” and the educational part is important. Might help take away a bit of the stigma around spiders and get the kids interested instead of afraid.

And, I mean....don’t we enjoy watching our T’s do basically nothing?