Citharischius crawshayi Breeding Thread

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Eggs can grow inside her even when she has never met a male. That is why sometimes you can get dud sacs from females. I have had sacs laid a few days after a pairing a female with a male and part of that was because I could see the eggs inside her growing and I knew if I got a mm and paired her so the egg sac would be fertile instead of a dud.

I just did that with my H. mac. I knew when I got her she was packing eggs, so I found a male and ta da, a few weeks later I have about 100 1st instar babies.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well they just mated tonight! It was quit a sight! Here are some pictures for you all

Here he is heading down her burrow

Gets her out

She tried tagging him, threw him back while jumping about 8" forward. She quickly turned around and took off to her burrow, I tried to get the best shot before she jetted down...

You can tell shes gained a lot of weight..
Before mating's took place

Now here is where she left the male, haha

Now keep in mind, she was mated several times with one of my past males before she molted. So she could have been carrying eggs the whole time and could be why shes gained so much weight... I'll just have to wait! :wall:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got back from work today and knowticed she had made a LARGE chamber double the size of her. It is about 8" high and about 12" long. It is HUGE. What an amazing sight as well. This is a new addition to her burrow, so maybe she will be constructing a sac fairly quicker than I imagined.

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, I understand. Well actually I have had this girl since the 7th grade. 11 years ago I bought it from Swift's and raised her to this point
That is just so very cool! You should be very proud. She's just gorgeous, and your pics are superb--such an interesting thread.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice thread and pics! Thanks for the inputs also of the other forum members!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well good times gotta end sometime...
Here he is last night "trying" to ease her out of her burrow

Here he is seconds after

:(

Fingers crossed!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awe man. Sorry to hear about the males demise. Hope she gives you a sa.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well folks, nothing has changed. As of a couple days ago, she has now begun refusing food. She will not eat anythhing. she is freshly molted too, molted several months ago. So I'm not worried about that. It's not that her abdomen is still gigantic, its just that it is more robust/swollen/round. Not so long and fat. Any ideas on that?

As a note, she made a big chamber at the end of her burrow. It is about 10" long, 6-7" wide, and 5" tall. Pretty big if you ask me. Anyone ever knowtice there craw do this once settled in?

There is a small heating pad on the side of the tank, doesnt put off a lot of heat, but enough to keep the glass in that area warm. I used it on the last females tank prior to her laying, so I figured why not.

Ah hopefully the male wasnt a dud!!

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Knocking on the whole forest for ya here Austin! You deserve to get a viable sac this time!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well this morning she was silking the crap out of her burrow. Not the chamber, but everything else! Hmm..

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you! Well I tried feeding her today, but still no go, the dubia only wondered at her feed and she only threw up the threat display. First time for me to see her as a whole in a while! Shes still pretty big!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure what the outcome of this will be, but we'll soon find out!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hopefully she wont molt out and she will give you a nice big sac!