Citharischius crawshayi Breeding Thread

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wanted to make an official thread for this. I waited a couple days for a fresh sperm web and sure enough he made one yet again yesterday. Tonight was the best mating I've witnessed of this species. He searched for her burrow, found it, twore through the silk, got her out. They mated a couple times and when shinning the flashlight on her furrow, I witnessed three successful insersions and literally saw sperm be injected. IT was a sight I can tell ya that! Anyways, here are the pics of tonight!

The male looking for her

Tearing through the silk!

Coming out!

The "hook up"

It was hard holding the flash, take a pic, and hold a ruler and time the insersion!!! Not in this picture, but there sure was! Each one was fast as lighting! UNBELIEVABLE!!

I'll keep this thread up to date k

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just adding this mating that took place on the 4th of Dec.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice photos! and story! :clap:

I have to look around for this sp... Good luck, sir!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought I replied to this thread already? Nice job Austin! You can bet that I will be following this thread to the end! I have to get me one of these....

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good luck on getting a sac. are you going to leave it with the T? because you will need to do some serious excavating to get that out lol!
I have a shovel you can borrow... {D

Nice pics!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just love how that female makes that male look like a house spider{D .

Thats my favorite picture by far.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just love how that female makes that male look like a house spider{D .

Thats my favorite picture by far.
I was so nervous when taking that picture. I figured she would just jump forward (which she did after the picture :rolleyes:) so it wasnt focused, I just wanted a shot like that. I'll breed them again in a couple days, hopefully I can get a clearer one!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cant wait for the new pictures. How long do you think it will take for your girl to drop a sac if she becomes gravid from the breeding?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cant wait for the new pictures. How long do you think it will take for your girl to drop a sac if she becomes gravid from the breeding?
I'm going to try again either tonight or tomorrow, just knowticed another remains of a sperm web! :D

It took my last female about 2 months, so we shall see!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats awesome. When the male saw the female come out of her burrow hes probably like "Oh crap". Lol. Cant wait for some more breeding pictures.

How difficult are these Ts to breed?

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Breeding Reports" ???
:? :? :?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Breeding Reports" ???
:? :? :?
No, you cant discuss the post in the breeding reports section. I think the OP wants to be able to discuss the experience with other people? And it is a tarantula announcemnet so I think its in the proper section.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, you cant discuss the post in the breeding reports section. I think the OP wants to be able to discuss the experience with other people? And it is a tarantula announcemnet so I think its in the proper section.
Good point! ;)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I already have a breeding report in that section. I just wanted to share this with everyone and get some opinions, suggestions, etc. from you all.

Well its official, the male is done mating. He will not even try. He made a fresh sperm web yesterday. I put him in there last night and today when I got back from work and he did the same thing both times. First he would slowly go down the burrow, then stop halfway down, then just bolt out! Literally he would JET! But, here is something that may be causing it: Over the past Two and a half days, the female has been none stop moving around, silking, making adjustments to her burrow, and silking some more. She is constantly on the move. Everytime I check on her, she is silking the walls and the ceiling of her burrow as well. Just a second ago I caught her hanging upside down in her chamber pushing in to the top with her fangs.

What she has been doing, is getting the moist dirt that is on the floor, collecting it, and climbing on her ceiling and smashing it on the top or smashing it into the walls. Yesterday she had made the thickest webbing in her burrow, clogging it up. The male was going down until he hit that web, then he freaked and ran out.

She has already doubled in size, but I know she cannot lay a sac right now, not atleast for another month or two. Hopefully, she will lay. Here are a couple pictures:

Her abdomen is straight up in the air silking the top of her chamber, sorry you cannot see, it was the best I could get

She is upside down in this one...

What do you all think??

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She doubled in size in three days? :? Are you feeding her cats or something?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She doubled in size in three days? :? Are you feeding her cats or something?
Haha small chiwawas actually. She has literally doubled yes. But she has only been fed two adult dubias. So I really have no idea at all. :confused:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I have not encountered a T that I can’t see eggs in when they are there, both arboreal and terrestrial, so maybe when she is near the glass you can try and see if anything is growing in there.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I have not encountered a T that I can’t see eggs in when they are there, both arboreal and terrestrial, so maybe when she is near the glass you can try and see if anything is growing in there.
You think you could knowtice eggs this early?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If she was already carrying eggs yes.
I have had many good sacs because I noticed the female was already carrying eggs, so I hurried and found her a MM and very shortly after that had a sac and slings.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If she was already carrying eggs yes.
I have had many good sacs because I noticed the female was already carrying eggs, so I hurried and found her a MM and very shortly after that had a sac and slings.
Oh, I understand. Well actually I have had this girl since the 7th grade. 11 years ago I bought it from Swift's and raised her to this point. She molted two months ago. So there wouldnt be eggs in her already I don't believe.

BUT, if a female is bred, then molts, loses the sperm deposits from the previous mating along with her old skin, would she still be caring eggs?? B/c that could make perfect sence.