1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinnamon Tarantula?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by newtrotic, Jan 10, 2019.

1. newtrotic

newtrotic Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I am planning on adding a new tarantula to my family. A pet store in Chicago named Animal Island says they carry Cinnamon Tarantulas, but they do not have the scientific name listed so I am honestly unsure as to what species of tarantula this would be. Does anyone have a clue? I do not think it could be a crassicrus lamanai due to them being pretty rare in the trade.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Assuming they are not talking about some exotic snack, it may be one of the native Aphonopelma species such as A. hentzi or A. chalcodes.

How much are they asking from them? How big are they? Are they wild-caught or captive bred? Ask where they got them from - if they are imported from overseas or purchased from someone here in the U.S. - possibly in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, or some other Southern/Southwestern state.

If they are relatively inexpensive, are good sized, and/or are wild-caught Ts purchased from someone in the Southern U.S., there is a good chance they may be some flavor of Aphonopelma.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord

While I can't find evidence searching the web right now, I remember seeing some Hysterocrates sp labeled as "cinnamon brown/red tarantulas" browsing an expo table a while back. If you could get pictures I'm sure we could help you out in getting to at least genus.

4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

:banghead:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  5. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Yikes. I swear some places come up with their own common names, just to make the Ts sound "extra cool".

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roxy machado

Roxy machado Arachnopeon

I just stole this from a old post:

My uncle used to play with wild texas cinnamon tarantulas when he was boy back when he lived in texas.

So i have a feeling your about to get a wild caught Aphonopelma species

7. newtrotic

newtrotic Arachnopeon

I was able to call them tonight before they closed and I found out from the owner himself that all the tarantulas are captive bred and the "cinnamon" tarantula is indeed A. hentzi. They don't have any pictures of their tarantulas posted, which is pretty disappointing.

8. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

1547187019244.jpg

You're welcome.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

The "cinnamon challenge" has escalated quickly.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

So has my time spent doodling so I can post "memes" on this forum! :hilarious:

11. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Could be MANY species. You'll never be able to breed it that is for sure.