Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Sling behavior

Michael Ortiz

Arachnopeon
2F303048-3157-4C49-B3AA-F0B65F46CE1B.jpeg Hello everyone, last week Thursday I received my gbb sling in the mail. I have housed her, and she has feed, 2 times. She looks thin to me. Since Friday of last week she has been moving real slow, and zero sign of webbing. I noticed that she was kinda curling up her legs sitting in the corner. I thought maybe dehydration? She does support her own weight and moves around. Just real slow, and tonight has no interest in eating at all. Any thoughts?

tewebag

Arachnoknight
Have to agree, that substrate looks bad. Post a picture of the whole enclosure please.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
As others have said change the substrate asap (coco coir, peat, topsoil w/o any additives), this could be one of the reasons why the t isn't adjusting well. Post photos as well.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That's a huuuuge enclosure for such a small sling. :wideyed:
I'd put it into something much smaller with real, soft and slightly moist coco fibre and a water dish flush with the ground, so it can find (!) and reach the water easily. It seems a bit dehydrated... at least that could be the reason why it doesn't eat.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Looks like coco husk, this species doesn't burrow ever IME so it's not a massive concern, the main purpose of substrate in a GBB enclosure is to hold the anchor points in place anyway.

I'd go with a smaller enclosure tbh (like half the size of the current one) and keep half the sub slightly moist.

Also, there seems to be a bit of a misconception with sling care of this species, slings should be kept on slightly moist substrate until they reach 1.5"/2", anything bigger can be kept practically bone dry with a water dish.

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
View attachment 288914 Hello everyone, last week Thursday I received my gbb sling in the mail. I have housed her, and she has feed, 2 times. She looks thin to me. Since Friday of last week she has been moving real slow, and zero sign of webbing. I noticed that she was kinda curling up her legs sitting in the corner. I thought maybe dehydration? She does support her own weight and moves around. Just real slow, and tonight has no interest in eating at all. Any thoughts?
Give her some water. What I do is drop bits of water near or on my tarantulas if I see they're dehydrated. They drink it up, she's looking pretty thin.