1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Sling behavior

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Michael Ortiz, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    2F303048-3157-4C49-B3AA-F0B65F46CE1B.jpeg Hello everyone, last week Thursday I received my gbb sling in the mail. I have housed her, and she has feed, 2 times. She looks thin to me. Since Friday of last week she has been moving real slow, and zero sign of webbing. I noticed that she was kinda curling up her legs sitting in the corner. I thought maybe dehydration? She does support her own weight and moves around. Just real slow, and tonight has no interest in eating at all. Any thoughts?

2. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    What type of substrate is it on?

3. tewebag

tewebag Arachnoknight

Have to agree, that substrate looks bad. Post a picture of the whole enclosure please.

4. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

As others have said change the substrate asap (coco coir, peat, topsoil w/o any additives), this could be one of the reasons why the t isn't adjusting well. Post photos as well.

5. Coco

Attached Files:

7. I put her in the same stuff as my G. Rosea, and she is thriving.

8. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    That doesn't look like coco fibre to me?

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnoknight

10. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoangel Active Member

That's a huuuuge enclosure for such a small sling. :wideyed:
    I'd put it into something much smaller with real, soft and slightly moist coco fibre and a water dish flush with the ground, so it can find (!) and reach the water easily. It seems a bit dehydrated... at least that could be the reason why it doesn't eat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Looks like coco husk, this species doesn't burrow ever IME so it's not a massive concern, the main purpose of substrate in a GBB enclosure is to hold the anchor points in place anyway.

I'd go with a smaller enclosure tbh (like half the size of the current one) and keep half the sub slightly moist.

Also, there seems to be a bit of a misconception with sling care of this species, slings should be kept on slightly moist substrate until they reach 1.5"/2", anything bigger can be kept practically bone dry with a water dish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Dragondrool

Dragondrool Arachnosquire

Give her some water. What I do is drop bits of water near or on my tarantulas if I see they're dehydrated. They drink it up, she's looking pretty thin.