1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or acanthoscuria geniculata

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by moshpitpanda, Nov 8, 2018.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or acanthoscuria geniculata

1. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

22.9%
  2. Acanthoscurria geniculata

27.1%
  3. Both

50.0%
  1. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Right now mine is just 1/3 of an inch so boring brown. I hear they start looking like mini adults rather quickly as slings though.

By the way the genic would probably have room for an adult Avic after the 2 GBBs. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Another vote for A. geniculata. Good eater, grows fast, always out in the open and is much cheaper than a GBB (especially if you're looking for a sexed female).

3. moshpitpanda

moshpitpanda Arachnosquire Active Member

Dang cold blood what a beautiful picture! I think that one sold me honestly lol. A spider like that would make a fine commander in my eight legged army! ...I mean pet in my collection :angelic:

So small yet so fiesty!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. moshpitpanda

moshpitpanda Arachnosquire Active Member

I ordered a geniculata last night. No over night shipping though. Fingers crossed for a live arrival!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. weibkreux

weibkreux Arachnosquire Active Member

Both, same good eaters, one is a tank and the other is a webber. Though I agree that genics are great display Ts because they are always out once they reach a certain size. I have slings of both and got no problem feeding them. Will only refuse a meal if they are in pre-molt stage.

6. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnoknight Active Member

I have both, but my vote is for A. genic all day long. @cold blood summed it up perfectly. I would add I obtained my GBB when I first started keeping, “Oooo, aaah, look at the colors”. I don’t regret having one, but in the same breath can say I would never buy another. My biggest gripe is mine is skittish to the point of sissified. Plus, don’t be fooled by the lighting enhanced vibrancy of the GBB’s colors found throughout the net. They are colorful, but actually appear much more subdued in natural light, and when in their copious webbing they really just appear like a black or gray spider in the enclosure. I’m not hating on them, they do throw out some gorgeous webbing, eat like maniacs, and grow fast. Genics do all of those things exponentially except the webbing, that’s because it would interfere with a clear killing field...mwah-ha-ha!

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

I'm not going to cop out by saying both.

If you don't already have a gigantic stripey ravenous murder tank in your life then you need a gigantic stripey ravenous murder tank in your life.

I have both and my genic is one of my favourite tarantulas, my GBB isn't even my favourite heavy webber.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

+1 for the large NW terrestrials

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    My largest stripey murder tank at the moment is a G. pulchripes, and at 3" she demolishes full grown dubia roaches.

My A. geniculata, and N. chromatus are sub 2" but they still tackle larger nymphs.

My much maligned L. parahybana seems to be my fastest grower. Not stripey, but an excellent spider.

I like the webbing to visability ratio of the GBB. My GBB is almost always on the top of the webbing mess she has created.

10. LavishEye

LavishEye Arachnopeon

I love both of mine, though they are very different!

Both are fantastic eaters and only refuse the week before a molt. Period. And they'll eat instantly and with serious voracity. Both of mine are pretty twitchy, but neither particularly aggressive. The cyaneopubescens is quite bolty, but you've got to love how it blankets everything in web. I personally fine the geniculata to be one of my most beautiful tarantulas, but mine is so testy. He kicks hair if you so much as walk by his enclosure. No threat postures yet, but he'll tackle anything coming into his house, tweezers included, so be prepared for a big and BOLD tarantula.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Aestas

Aestas Arachnopeon

Germany
    By all means, get both <3
    After a few years of not owning Ts I started again with these two. Absolutley amazing spiders

12. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

EC9FD1F4-CAF4-48F3-8215-B25AF1776D7A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1