1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or acanthoscuria geniculata

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by moshpitpanda, Nov 8, 2018.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or acanthoscuria geniculata

1. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

22.9%
  2. Acanthoscurria geniculata

27.1%
  3. Both

50.0%
  1. moshpitpanda

moshpitpanda Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Which should I get? :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm: both names are equally difficult to remember:depressed:. I really like the appearance of both. Couldn't find a husbandry video on geniculata but I assume it is similar to a desert species..will research furthur if I decide to get it of course. C. Cyaneopubescens on one hand is a heavy webber which is something I really want and they look beautiful but they are also kind of expensive compared to the geniculata..

2. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Acanthoscurria geniculata

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Luka98

Luka98 Arachnosquire Active Member

Serbia
    Both of course :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

I voted A. geniculate because I just got one today. Tiny little thing at 1/3 an inch, but I hear they grow really fast.

And like Luka98 said both if you can. GBB make really cool webbing in their enclosures. Hopefully a GBB or the little dwarf tiger rump C. elegans will be my next T. Depends on my wife Heather. She has let me up to 7 Ts and a scorpion so I might be pushing it just a bit. And she really doesn't like insects or arachnids much at all.

5. moshpitpanda

Well you see my mother / room mate did not even want me to get one to begin with so i am kind of just hoping she doesnt notice a second :troll:

• Like Like x 3
  6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    It won’t let me vote for both.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. moshpitpanda

Ok now you can lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. tkid02

tkid02 Arachnosquire Active Member

Gbb. I’m big on heavy webbers and kind of find plain ole terrestrials to be kind of boring unless they’re really big.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

A. geniculata are not small boring terrestrials by any means. They can easily push 8 inches in DLS if not more. And are quite good lookers with bright white knees, black carapace and abdomen with reddish colored setae and hairs. And they tend to stay out in the open as adults which makes them great display Ts in a well decorated terrarium. And slings grow extremely quickly, reaching 3 inch in DLS from 1/3 inch DLS within a year. And they are great eaters, they have been known to eat all they way through pre molt. And their feeding response is amazing, always a treat to watch an adult A. geniculata be fed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Acanthoscurria geniculata isn’t exactly small...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tkid02

you’re right but I mean for my liking I want em really big lol

Didn’t know they were hitting numbers like that lol my mistake

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. moshpitpanda

Big stripey boi

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

Oh yeah A. geniculata get pretty big. And their grow so darn fast I hear. I just got my first A. geniculata sling today and it took down a baby cricket almost as big as it. I was getting ready to pinch the head with tweezers and drop it in and the sling jumped and grabbed the live cricket off the tweezers. It had it under control pretty quick, but I snuck a quick head pinch in since it had it by the butt.

14. moshpitpanda

Wow that's crazy. I have yet to live feed my B. Vagans lol except for when I first got it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

First sling to ever make me jump. LOL The Poecilotheria rufilata I also got today was 100% opposite. Very chill and easy to rehouse in the temporary enclosure. Gave it a small cricket and it gently grabbed it. I did read though that P. rufilata is one of the more docile Pokies. It wasn't bolty at all, actually had to coax it with a small paint brush from the vial to the temp enclosure. It just calmly walked slowly into it. Went right to the water dish and had a drink. Beautiful spider too, already has adult coloration at only 1 1/2-1 3/4 inches DLS.
    1C0FA18A-AC8D-4647-AF1C-2BE67BA1C0BE.jpeg

It is under that piece of Maple bark consuming the small cricket. Not a good pic but you can somewhat see the colors.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tkid02

plenty of brainfarts tonight lmao (had one earlier with phormic as well) but yea srry, don't know why i was thinking of a. geniculata not being huge even after i had seen a video of one eating a mouse a while back but yea i was saying as far as my collection of 3 goes lol i find my parahybana kinda boring now cus since it put on some size (around 3 inches) it stopped digging but still fights the water dish :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. moshpitpanda

Yeah my Vagans has been super chill too. It is only a matter of time until he turns rebellious after a molt lol. I will enjoy it while I can! Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. MikeofBorg

MikeofBorg Arachnosquire

My Aphonopelma chalcodes mature female has started doing that. When I fill her water dish she attacks the stream. And I'm just squeezing the squirt bottle so it is gentle stream too. She isn't hungry either, won't take a cricket, dubia or superworm. /shrug, who knows with women. She did just eat last week though, had 3 large crickets.

19. tkid02

lol yea just that good feeding response ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Not at all, thick, too
    An adult genic would eat 2 adult GBBs at a time.:eek:

I also vote genic. 20180520_172835.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2