E. murinus or C. cyaneopubescens

• E. murninus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. myaneopubescens

Votes: 32 100.0%

• Total voters

H3nry

Arachnopeon
I am new to both aranoboards and the hobby but I've been wanting a tarantula for awhile. I may finally be getting the chance to get one soon and I've liked bother the C. cyaneopubescens and the E. murnis and before I got one I was wondering which one would be a better beginner tarantual? I am thankful for any facts or opinions on both species.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
DO NOT GET THE E. MURINUS!!! That's probably the most defensive New World tarantula there is. They're highly skittish and foul-tempered, they shoot poop at you, and they require advanced knowledge of tarantulas to keep them alive.
And the C. cyaneopubescens isn't the best first tarantula, either. It's great for a third tarantula, but for the first one, you'd be better off looking at the Grammostola or Brachypelma genus, particularly the Grammostola pulchripes or the Brachypelma albopilosum.

H3nry

Arachnopeon
Haha good to know thanks for the heads up why do you say C. cyaneopubescens would not be a good first tarantula?

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Haha good to know thanks for the heads up why do you say C. cyaneopubescens would not be a good first tarantula?
They are fast moving, skittish, and defensive. Even my 2" sling threatens readily.

I'd also like to recommend an Aphonopelma as a beginner. Chalcodes or hentzi are the most popular, and my first T was a hentzi. You can usually find AF chalcodes around $50. A. seemanni are also pretty great and easy to find, but a bit more skittish than the other two I mentioned.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
They're skittish and very, very fast. But if you want to get one then go right ahead. They're GORGEOUS, and fill the entire enclosure with webs. There's just better options for the first.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the double post

In truth, @H3nry I haven't found my GBB all that hard to keep, and they have relatively easy care requirements. But they are fast and if you startle easy or don't pay close enough attention, you may have an escapee on your hands. They are hardy as slings and have a great feeding response, and they really do some cool stuff with their webbing.

I think Moak is right about them being a good 3rd T. Start with a slower T, keep it for a few months, and if you're ready for something a little more exciting, go for a GBB.

Last edited:

H3nry

Arachnopeon
I don't startle too easy I was always the kid who'd chase after the spiders in the house and catch them in a cup to set free instead of letting someone else kill it and we have some fast little buggers

Although I probably gunna look for a few other species to start with

H3nry

Arachnopeon
Ha thanks that would've been great to have beforehand I've been ghosting around this site for a few months before I created a count and couldn't find to much like that (although I'll admit I did get distracted with other threads often) thanks for the link I'll definitely read up on it

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is doable (but not really ideal) as a first tarantula -- it's definitely better than Ephebopus murinus, which is defensive.

Features of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens that are good for first-time keepers:
  • very hardy (even as slings)
  • kept on dry substrate
  • not hard to find or terribly expensive

Features of Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens that are not so good for first-time keepers:
  • quite a bit faster than a typical starter terrestrial
  • may be skittish and/or inclined to flick hairs

@EulersK made these videos highlighting some beginner species:

Tom Moran also has these recommendations for beginner species:

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Very fast and skittish, having one as a first is doable but I generally prefer to recommend them as a second or third Tarantula.

They are fast moving, skittish, and defensive. Even my 2" sling threatens readily.
I second what @Moakmeister said, I'm more worried about mine bolting out of the enclosure than any defensiveness, she did attack the tongs and then run halfway up them once after mistaking them for food though :eek::rofl:

Ddannison

Arachnopeon
Of the two, get the gbb. Attitude aside, GBB care is just easier as you don't need to maintain a moist enclosure.

Ddannison

Arachnopeon
Of the two, get the gbb. Attitude aside, GBB care is just easier as you don't need to maintain a moist enclosure.
And to add to this, gbb is a great starter tarantula IF you have no interest in handling. If you expect to have it in and out of the enclosure please look at other, more docile species... Or a cat

H3nry

Arachnopeon
Haha yeah I have no intention of handling my tarantula they may be a "pet" but they're still a wild animal so to speak and deserve the respect that comes with that

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chasing spiders isn't the same as chasing tarantulas, keep doing research and get something a little less skittish and fast.