Choosing a Tarantula For All the Wrong Reasons - by Lucian "Luc" Ross

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Being back for a little while now, I can't help but notice that a lot of long term people are still perpetuating the stigma often associated with beginners species.
People complain a lot when a new person comes on saying that they have purchased a tarantula far beyond what their experience level makes them prepared for, but those same people will use a lot of detrimental descriptions and comments about those tarantulas that carry the beginner label.
If you don't want someone else using tarantulas as a means of proving themselves, then maybe start being a bit more aware of how you describe your own collection.
New people will often lurk on these forums and read comments that people make long before actually joining. I did it and I have seen many people commenting the same. How they feel that they will be perceived, based on their choice of tarantula, is determined often far ahead of them making the fated 'I'm in way over my head' post.
Except that there isn't anything wrong with any of the species labeled as 'beginner' and it doesn't make you less of an asset to the hobby if you don't own some of the more challenging species. If people decide to move on to more challenging species, then that is a personal choice and is not a reflection upon those who aren't there yet or choose to never be.
I came across this blog entry today that I thought I would share.

http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/all_the_wrong_reasons.htm

Choosing a tarantula for all the Wrong Reasons
by Lucian "Luc" Ross

I think one of the biggest mistakes made by many new to the hobby is the acquisition of a tarantula for all the wrong reasons and rarely does a week go past that I do not receive several emails from first-time hobbyists asking for advice on choosing a "good" Poecilotheria species.

I do realize that it is impossible to determine a first-time hobbyists ability to keep and maintain such tarantulas as African and Far Eastern species and I know several people that started out in the hobby maintaining Poecilotheria, Theraphosa, Hysterocrates, etc. All have raised many tarantulas to maturity and have done so very well with few mistakes along the way. Then, there are those that started by maintaining some of these more "glamorous" species and failed miserably and caused the death of many beautiful tarantulas trying to be part of the "in" crowd of arachnoculture.

Several months ago, I received an email from a person new to our hobby in which he asked me which of the following Poecilotheria would be the "best" species to get as his first spider, Poecilotheria rufilata, P. formosa, or P. subfusca? After a quite long reply in which I explained the work and caution involved in maintaining such species as any of the Ornamentals, and making suggestions on starting off his collection with one or more species of Avicularia, he included in his next reply that he wanted to keep a species that the real hobbyists kept!

This is a belief fostered by many new hobbyists entering the arachnocultural community for the first time. Many actually becoming defensive or feeling insulted that someone would suggest that they not start with a Theraphosa blondi, Haplopelma lividum, or Poecilotheria ornata.

These new hobbyists are entering the hobby with the belief that unless they maintain one or several of the high-priced rarer species that they'll not be considered part of the "real" arachnocultural community and no one will take them seriously.

The days of suggesting Grammostola rosea, Aphonopelma seemanni, Brachypelma albopilosum, and Avicularia avicularia, are almost over as a suggestion towards a new keeper of maintaining such a species as one of those listed is more than likely to result in offending the new hobbyists and sever further communication!

The worst thing about such opinions is that the new hobbyists deprives him/herself of experiencing some of the most fascinating and wonderful tarantulas in the hobby and as in any discipline, it is necessary to build a firm and knowledgeable foundation by beginning with tarantulas that are not a threat to the new hobbyist in order for the hobbyists to interact and observe the lifestyles of these fascinating arachnids.

Then, after gaining some experience with these species, the hobbyists can advance to those tarantulas kept and maintained by those with a greater degree of experience. They will possess a firm foundation that will allow them to knowledgeably and responsibly maintain tarantulas of genera such as Poecilotheria, Hysterocrates, Haplopelma, or Theraphosa that do require a more thorough knowledge of keeping techniques, skills, and behaviors.

The main thing that new hobbyists need to understand is that it is necessary to both, the keeper and the kept, that the keeper develop his/her skills by initially keeping and interacting with species that are generally considered to be easier to maintain and work with than some of the more demanding species such as Poecilotheria ornata or Pamphobeteus fortis.

And remember, most of those $100.00 tarantulas are actually less glamorous and interesting than the $10.00 species!

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Those of us who prefer to keep terrestrials (looking at you, @Chris LXXIX) will attest to the fact that there are gorgeous T's out there that are easy to keep. I'd take an A. geniculata or a B. emilia over a pokie any day of the week. The level of care has nothing to do with how fun a tarantula is to keep - quite the contrary, in my opinion. Pokies are a hassle when compared to similarly stunning beginner terrestrial T's.

Arcana

Arachnopeon
Really good post!

In my experience, I've heard people say that beginner tarantulas are lame and boring... At the same time I purchased those "lame" Ts and I feel like people think it's the collection that determines me as a human or as a hobbyist. I know it isn't that way but can't help the feeling... That kind of thing makes me shy and not willing to ask in public if I had something in my mind. I really try to overcome it, slowly... :)

But I think those NW docile Ts are wonderful and the most beautiful Ts out there. I can't imagine myself owning OW Ts, no no. And this hobby is brand new to me, I do this for myself, not for other hobbyist though I do enjoy sharing my hobby with others :)

So thank you for this post! It's important topic to talk about. I think here in Arachnoboards forum it's has been very nice to talk with open minded people and I haven't felt judged. So... Cheers :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Those of us who prefer to keep terrestrials (looking at you, @Chris LXXIX) will attest to the fact that there are gorgeous T's out there that are easy to keep. I'd take an A. geniculata or a B. emilia over a pokie any day of the week. The level of care has nothing to do with how fun a tarantula is to keep - quite the contrary, in my opinion. Pokies are a hassle when compared to similarly stunning beginner terrestrial T's.
True. IMO when it comes to arboreals, 'Pokies' aren't worth a single, you name one, genus Psalmopoeus Theraphosidae. Those last possess everything 'Pokies' have (ok, the venom isn't that powerful, but powerful enough for the NW league) plus the attitude.
'Pokies' are "run & hide" T's. Tell this to certain P.irminia, ah ah. Psalmopoeus is a total, complete, arboreal genus. Period.

I love terrestrials, but i have a passion for obligate burrowers (i separe those from terrestrials; i divide Theraphosidae into three groups... terrestrials, arboreals, and obligate burrowers. I understand, however, that someone could put terrestrials and obligate burrowers together).

I would take anytime a A.geniculata, H.gigas, E.murinus, the Goddess P.muticus, S.aruana, L.giannisposatoi, 'Haplos' 'Baboons' and genus Chilobrachys of all sorts etc rather than a 'Pokie' :-s

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I thought it was a very good article, but it did fail to point out that the people in the hobby can be their own worst enemy in a lot of cases. The impression that they make on the young people just entering the hobby often makes it inevitable that many new comers are going to make a poor choice of tarantula.
I see a lot of young people making seriously dangerous decisions on their first tarantula and it isn't just the Poecilotheria. It's also the OBT, the H. mac, the S. calceatum and the T. blondi... it is a number of very difficult species that can have very bad consequences to everyone around you if you are not completely prepared for them.
People shouldn't be made to feel 'lame' if they don't own the biggest, fastest, most venomous bad-ass within a couple of hundred miles - when what is really lame are those old timers in the hobby still beating their fists against their chests about their own collections and then coming down like a ton of bricks on new comers who feel that they also need to prove something.

Vezon

Arachnopeon
I don't think a lot of people understand that a lot of the 'advanced' tarantulas are just pet holes or hiders that you won't see if you are properly taking care of them. A nice NW terrestrial is the perfect place to start since you will be able to observe them without needing a red flashlight at like 3 in the morning. Luckily I work 3rd shift, so I get to see a good number of my easily spooked species when I get up to work, but not everyone has that.

A. genic, GBB, literally any brachy, and plenty of others are all beautiful, easy to take care of 'beginner' tarantulas that even the hardcore-est of the hardcore still keep in their collections.

Tarantula dude

Arachnosquire
This is a very well written article and it is very true. Most people who do not understand the threat postures and warnings often get bitten due to lack of knowledge. Also the "Beginner species" are very likable. Just because it does not have a neon blue or any bright colors that does not take away the awe that comes with possessing a tarantula. One of my favorite T's is the G.Rosea and that's a beginner species . All T's are awesome pets some just require more experience so i have come to learn the hard way.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Let's be honest. In Italy there's few skilled genus Poecilotheria breeders. I refused four (four, not one) 0.1 T's:
P.ornata (btw i somewhat like the temperament, still...) a P.metallica, P.regalis, P.striata. For 200 Euro, 50 Euro for female specimen, more or less $222/223.

Now why here P.metallica, among the whole genus, is the most demanded, therefore always "in breeding"? Uhm... :angelic:

As for P.murinus, a lot of people that moves their first step into T's world, view that 'Baboon' as a sort of "manly" trophy to own, helped by the cheap price, too much, sadly, without knowing what they jump into.

Now i, personally, love P.murinus, but sadly i've noticed that a lot of keepers, for chasing the "OW dream", lose a lot of NW intermediate genus like Phormictopus, Ephebopus, Megaphobema, 'Phampos' etc that's sad.

Or SADS <--- 'Avics' :-s

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've heard people say that beginner tarantulas are lame and boring... At the same time I purchased those "lame" Ts and I feel like people think it's the collection that determines

Unfortunately I've heard it too from beginners, and that view of tarantulas is a bunch of crap. Great article by Luc. I've got more OW's than most, and still keep B smithi and A chalcodes because they're beautiful species.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
In my experience, I've heard people say that beginner tarantulas are lame and boring... At the same time I purchased those "lame" Ts and I feel like people think it's the collection that determines me as a human or as a hobbyist. I know it isn't that way but can't help the feeling... That kind of thing makes me shy and not willing to ask in public if I had something in my mind.

But I think those NW docile Ts are wonderful and the most beautiful Ts out there. I can't imagine myself owning OW Ts, no no.
Thank you for speaking up. I keep buying "beginner species" because that's what I enjoy keeping, but I really feel like sometimes my preference falls into the "just another brown spider" grouping, and it's uninteresting, or it doesn't get talked about because a lot of people, except newbies, are beyond them. But they're tarantulas too!

louise f

Arachnoangel
Let's be honest. In Italy there's few skilled genus Poecilotheria breeders. I refused four (four, not one) 0.1 T's:
P.ornata (btw i somewhat like the temperament, still...) a P.metallica, P.regalis, P.striata. For 200 Euro, 50 Euro for female specimen, more or less $222/223.

Now why here P.metallica, among the whole genus, is the most demanded, therefore always "in breeding"? Uhm... :angelic:

As for P.murinus, a lot of people that moves their first step into T's world, view that 'Baboon' as a sort of "manly" trophy to own, helped by the cheap price, too much, sadly, without knowing what they jump into.

Now i, personally, love P.murinus, but sadly i've noticed that a lot of keepers, for chasing the "OW dream", lose a lot of NW intermediate genus like Phormictopus, Ephebopus, Megaphobema, 'Phampos' etc that's sad.

Or SADS <--- 'Avics' :-s

Hey Chris your new avatar looks like my mom, :p whats with the changing all the time,:astonished::wacky: we get confused. Well i do. You are Crazy friend :D

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I'll be honest, I jumped past a lot of beautiful NW like Phormictopus and Xenethsis. Now, I'm going back, because not only are these spiders not stressful in any way (aside from hairs) they're also huge, and beautiful! I like my OW, but as @Chris LXXIX said, for the most part they're all "run and hide" spiders.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'll be honest, I jumped past a lot of beautiful NW like Phormictopus and Xenethsis. Now, I'm going back, because not only are these spiders not stressful in any way (aside from hairs) they're also huge, and beautiful! I like my OW, but as @Chris LXXIX said, for the most part they're all "run and hide" spiders.
True, man. Nonetheless, genus Poecilotheria are and remain great T's. Seriously. Even if i prefer as arboreals genus Psalmopoeus, those striking colors are amazing.

The important thing is always choose using the "head". It's sad to skip those amazing NW T's, and, at the same time, it's not "truly" justice to view OW's OB and such as pet holes only.

That's why i love a good mix, a balance of those: NW intermediate, OW's (mostly Baboons). Tough i have a couple of rescued 'Grammos' and 'Brachy' as well :kiss:

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Excuse the ramble in advance here::

I have a serious love for the psalmos,
I do want to eventually have all of them, because to me they are stunning. They just make me happy. On the other hand, I would chop the fingers off anyone who threatened my porteri girls. And NOONE is ever going to get my little rosea away from me. As far as the LBJ'S go. I am absolutely crazy for the A anax and don't honestly care how boring anyone else finds them. I choose my T's by what I find beautiful that I believe I can take good care of. I don't feel the need to compare my list of T's and try to one up anyone. ^.~
I totally understand those who do feel pressured that way. And how that unintentional pressure can make folks feel they are somehow 'less' of a keeper then others.
News flash guys. They all have 8 legs two fangs and venom. Enjoy and be proud of 'your' choice of T's. Take your time and enjoy the ride. Your not a better keeper for having a ton of OW nor are you less for having a few more docile LBJ's.

Last edited:

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good article! My favorite tarantulas to keep thus far have been my G.Porteri and my recent addition, A.Genic. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with just sticking with the basics!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My favourite genus of all time are Poecilotheria.... but I will never have one myself. I don't want to have that type of venom around with my cats and myself - regardless of how many years experience I have. I am very comfortable with that choice, because I don't really care what people think, but others might not be so comfortable.
Thanks to forums like this, and the odd show that I attend, I can look at all the wonderful photos of them and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything but headaches.
New people shouldn't feel the need to compete with anyone or prove themselves... that is not what this community should be about.
I have seen a lot of what @Arcana mentioned. Sometimes you don't even have to get passed a person's signature to see how they feel about new comers. All that does is set people up to fail and results in tarantulas dying and bans being implemented.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalms all the way! They are common, cheap to acquire and readily available for the most part. Beauty with attitude...reminds me of certain Hollywood starlets...hmm. Anyways, love my B. smithi and Euathlus spp. as well. What I keep, I wanted to keep because I really like those species. And those I'd like to keep but don't feel ready for one or the other reason, I admire on pictures from our fellow keepers :)

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
I feel the crux of the article focuses on making choices based on ego and the percieved place in the prospective herd. After a long break my first tarantula was a T stirmi I saw languishing in a pet store. That was about a year ago and thirty species later everything is going well, with me and my tarantulas (and a couple of scorpions). I greatly respect those learned keepers who possess a wealth of knowledge through years of research and experience; however, even information and advice from such people must be viewed critically. At the end of the day, the only reliable method of deciding on whether to keep a specimen is to thoroughly research the animal and honestly reflect on your experience and ability to safely and responsibly provide for its care. After all, you keep tarantulas to enjoy them, and you can't enjoy something you are afraid of nor will you enjoy something you percieve as "boring". If you really love tarantulas you will soon realize there is no such thing as a boring tarantula, only lack of understanding. Be honest with yourself, make educated choices, respect your animals and you won't go wrong. Cheers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Psalms all the way! They are common, cheap to acquire and readily available for the most part. Beauty with attitude...reminds me of certain Hollywood starlets...hmm. Anyways, love my B. smithi and Euathlus spp. as well. What I keep, I wanted to keep because I really like those species. And those I'd like to keep but don't feel ready for one or the other reason, I admire on pictures from our fellow keepers :)
You're alive! :)

jok