Cholla Cactus Wood and other desert wood

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
Hello,

My Dad lives in Arizona. Knowing that I love my bugs, he collected some cholla cactus wood as well as some other kind of really dry desert wood that has a lot of character.

I would like to use it in my enclosures for decor.

My Questions are:
Is it safe to use with tarantulas, scorps, and centipedes?
What about millipedes, that may ultimately ingest some of the wood?
Should I clean the wood in some way? And if so, how?
Does anyone know what the other pictured wood is (that stuff that's not cholla in my pic)?

Thank you for your time.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
As I´ve often seen it used in invertebrate enclosures and Aquariums, i think it´s safe to assume that it´s safe to use with your inverts. (I´m not sure about the millipedes tho.)

And for cleaning I would recommend to wash it with hot water and get rid of rotting/fouling pieces. Maybe bake it at about 180° for an hour to kill everything that might be living in it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The other wood might be mesquite. Hard to tell. Very hard, tough wood? Could also be Pinyon (Piñon). Pinyon, aka scrub pine, is in the Pinus family and as such probably not a good idea in a terrarium.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ive used it, works fine, but can develop mold. Cork far superior.

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
Also, in reply to "The Snark" - hopefully I can help you help me, here are some better shots of the mystery wood, I took the pics today.
The only thing I can compare them to from personal experience is freshwater lake driftwood...very similar in appearance and consistency, maybe slightly lighter in weight...

The Snark

Old Timer
I've no idea. But that stuff has been dried and cooked by sun and weather so much it's unlikely to have any volatile toxins in it, whatever it is. @schmiggle , care to chance a guess? Also, @crone might spot it. That area is her stomping grounds.

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Without bark, I can't even begin to tell you. Do you know how old it is and where it's been sitting? The chemicals in wood degrade over time, so you may not have a problem.

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
I just asked my Dad where he found these pieces, he replied; “In the desert - National Forest - below the Superstition Mountain.”

Hope this info helps.

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
I did a Google search, and it appears "scrub pine" are not in the area generally -
Here is what I came across, for cactus and trees in the area;
" Cactus
Barrel
Buckhorn cholla
Chain fruit cholla
Hedgehog
Mammillaria - pincusion
Prickley pear
Saguaro
Teddy bear cholla

Trees
Catclaw - acacia
Ironwood
Mesquite
Palo Verde "

I'm not seeing "scrub pine" listed good Sir....

A LINK if anyone would like, but I wish NOT to offend the mods...

The Snark

Old Timer
I stand corrected. Was thinking farther south. But there is nothing on that list that would be considered hazardous.