Chinese Mantis ?

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
So, i just caught a gecko in my balcony, as i was moth-trapping, after releasing it, i was heading inside, when i saw a small male praying mantis outisde my balcony window (i believe its called a french window). It was being way too aggresive and it flew inside my room. After looking at it, i released it wasnt a sphodromantis viridis or a mantis religiosa. I Looked at its wings, and i saw some weird eye-spots. But, as i looked up my country's mantid species, i couldnt find the chinese species anywhere. Also, there's no herp keeper in my village, especially a mantis keeper. And the closest town, is about 10 Km away from me. There's no way it flew all that way. So is it actually a native species, or is it an invasive species? its the first time i see one.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Where do you live that has S. viridis, an African mantis, and M. religiosa, a European species that has become introduced elsewhere?
Tenodera mantids live in the East Coast of the U.S. and most of China, Japan, Korea, and other temperate Asian countries. They do not have eyespots on either of their four wings. They attain a maximum length of 10-11 cm.
Tropical mantids with eyespots include Creobroter, Blepharopsis, Pseudempusa, and others.
If you live in the Western U.S. or the Mediterranean, Iris ororatoria is a species known for its eyespots. Only males can fly.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
In my country (greece) S. Viridis has become a native species, since they are even more common than our original native species(M. Religiosa, Geomantis). Yesterday i looked up the Chinese mantis species, and there was a picture of an Iris ororatoria, so i got confused and thought it was a Chinese mantis.
Thanks for helping me out. (By the way, that species is so small, damn.)
Excuse my grammar please, but i just woke up, and my brain-eyes, need coffee to work properly...

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
In my country (greece) S. Viridis has become a native species, since they are even more common than our original native species(M. Religiosa, Geomantis). Yesterday i looked up the Chinese mantis species, and there was a picture of an Iris ororatoria, so i got confused and thought it was a Chinese mantis.
Thanks for helping me out. (By the way, that species is so small, damn.)
Excuse my grammar please, but i just woke up, and my brain-eyes, need coffee to work properly...
I didn't know that about S. viridis, but as Greece is warm enough, I suppose the could be invasive.

Around me, Chinese mantids are very common. I currently keep three of them and they are very large and aggressive. Almost every mantis I see is Tenodera. I also keep Stagmomantis carolina, one of the only native ones I was lucky enough to catch. I believe they are a similar size to ororatoria.

LilRickie35

Arachnopeon
I currently have a large female mantis, but I'm not sure of what species she is. My husband says she's a Chinese mantis. She has already produced an egg sack and has started to change colors from lime green to a Brown in certain spots of her body. How long after they lay the egg sack can they survive? What does the brown color mean? What should I feed her?

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Depending on its current age. Usually they lay egg sacks at their 6th or 7th month of life. So i got around 3 months of life. The brown color can be a behaviour, cause i havent heard it before. Feed it everything that moves, besides crickets and locusts

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
How long after they lay the egg sack can they survive? What does the brown color mean? What should I feed her?
Wild insects such as moths, flies, crickets, katydids, or even wasps and bees can be sued to feed her. However, most mantids die after producing an ootheca ('egg sack') and if she is changing color that means she is to die within a few months or weeks. Usually mantids only can change color each time they molt, before they are adults.

Sorry about that, but mantids are short-lived creatures. Last year I had a brown Chinese mantis, and as the weather got cooler, she stopped eating, her eyes turned black during the day and she went blind, her feet fell apart, and she could barely move. I eventually just froze her to put her out of her misery. Fortunately, summer is not over yet, and your mantis could still live for a while. And you have her offspring to look forward to next year!
Feed it everything that moves, besides crickets and locusts
I think you mean 'such as' crickets and locusts. :)

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
No. Crickets and locusts can lead mantids to death if fed frequently. They can lead to a disease called black vomit. It causes the mantis's digestive system block and the mantis emits a black substance that smell like vomit.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
No. Crickets and locusts can lead mantids to death if fed frequently. They can lead to a disease called black vomit. It causes the mantis's digestive system block and the mantis emits a black substance that smell like vomit.
Really! Perhaps this is only true of certain species. On the East Coast of the U.S., the four species of mantis are S. carolina, T. sinensis, T. angustipennis, and M. religiosa. I have raised almost all of these on nothing but wild-caught locusts and katydids(bush crickets) from small nymphs, without a single death. Many people also only use crickets as feeders. This is the first time I have heard of blockage being fatal and will take this into consideration.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
this is what i've been tought, i've also seen it happen, when i feed my wild-caught S.viridis a cricket, the next day he had a black liquid coming out if his mouth and it was all over his enclosure

Mmmkay

Arachnopeon
Really! Perhaps this is only true of certain species. On the East Coast of the U.S., the four species of mantis are S. carolina, T. sinensis, T. angustipennis, and M. religiosa. I have raised almost all of these on nothing but wild-caught locusts and katydids(bush crickets) from small nymphs, without a single death. Many people also only use crickets as feeders. This is the first time I have heard of blockage being fatal and will take this into consideration.
Is IS a thing, though I've only heard stories. I've only been in the Mantis Game for a couple of months, but have fed mine mostly crickets. A recommended precaution is to avoid feeding your mantis until the crickets have been in your possession for 24+ hours. That way they can excrete any funk. I've read a couple of theories that this black death is from carrots? So I never keep crickets and carrots together. I also make sure that the crickets are from a vendor that doesn't keep them with carrots. Does it matter? Not sure. But it's an easy precaution to take.

Really, roaches are supposed to be better, as far as a food source to raise specifically for mantids.

Thus far, you and I have been lucky. Knock on wood

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I fed five T. sinensis on wild-caught flies, grasshoppers, small ground crickets, and captive-bred house crickets and tropical house crickets. They showed no adverse effects. Perhaps it is something that is fed to the crickets, or perhaps it is a disease that cultivated crickets carry that can infect mantids.