Chinese mantis question

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I have two egg casings of Tenodera aridifolia sinensis (Chinese mantis). Neither has started to hatch yet. I was wondering, though: How large are the mantids when they hatch? Will they be easy to spot, or absolutely teenie?

-Bryan

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are like 1/2" long heh. Maybe a little smaller. They should be very easy to see. ;) I had a ton of them hatch out a couple months ago and let them out in my yard.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Chinese Mantid

I set out 3 egg cases last fall. I didn't think any of them had hatched since I never had seen any of them. Sunday I was in the yard and found one about 2 inches long. I caught and I am keeping it in a 1/2 gallon jar. When I looked at it this morning it had molted. The Chinese Mantids are more agressive eaters than the native Carolina Mantis that we have around here. Anyway you egg cases might have already hatched and you didn't know it if you had them outside like I did.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Mine are inside a 15 gallon aquarium, in my bedroom. I have a small heat lamp on the tank (keeping it at around 80 degrees). I plan on keeping most as pets, but I will be putting some in my yard for pest control :)

-Bryan

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't let the lamp dessicate the container, although Chinese ootheca are usually pretty hardy.

Wade

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Wade said:
Don't let the lamp dessicate the container, although Chinese ootheca are usually pretty hardy.
The lamp is just an incandescent aquarium strip hood with 2 15W bulbs. That shouldn't be too bad, right?

Would misting be overkill?

-Bryan

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is my mantis. I know the picture is blurry but you maybe you can get an idea of its size.

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Misting wouldn't hurt, but it might be easier to set a cup of very moist vermiculite inside the tank to raise the humidity.