Chinese Mantid (Tenodera aridifolia) - Need Help!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A woman at work brought me a Chinese mantid today and I noticed that its left eye appears to be damaged (Not sure how it happened). It kinda walks with a lean, although is able to catch prey.
Is there anything I can do to help it survive? Its pretty slow and doesn't want attempt to fly.
It is about 4.25 inches from head to tip of the abdomen.
If I decide to keep it a while, what are the care requirements? I feel uncomfortable releasing it right now with the damaged eye.
Thanks!
Ralph

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is one of the eyes all black? I've seen that before, but I'm not sure of the cause.

I could be nearing the end of it's life span, but this is kinda early even for them. Most die (in our region) somewhere between mid September to early November.

It could be newly molted. They should be molting into adulthood right about now, so if it has wings, it's there.

There's also the possibility of pesticide exposure. I don't think there's much you can do about that, but availability of clean water maight help.

Chinese mantids reguire spacious cages, with good ventilation and opprotunities to climb. A large kritter keeper or small aquarium (with screen top) outfited with branches or artificial plants will do. It will probably spend alot of time hanging upside down. No substrate is needed, but the standards will work if you want to try it. Moist substrate may help with humidity, but be careful to not let the air go stagnant. I offer water with daily mistings, but it might take water from a bowl, no harm in offering one. I feed mine about 3 times a week, 2-3 large crickets.

Usually, captives die by October, but I did manage to keep one going until January once. It was looking very tired by that point!

Wade

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wade,
As always, thank-you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. Unfortunately when I got home this evening, the mantid was dead. I suspect that the damage to the eye was more substantial as when the mantid walked, it constantly leaned to the damaged side.
All in all, it was a depressing week as I lost an emperor scorpion baby earlier and now the mantid.
Thanks again and I'll give you a call this weekend to talk about the Northern Virginia show.
Take care,
Ralph