Genus Chilobrachys

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice pics, here are a couple of noisy bits ;)

Chilobrachys "huahini"
Prolateral maxilla

Retrolateral chelicerae

Chilobrachys fimbriatus

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HI

These chitin segment on prolateral maxilla are the stridulation organs of this spiecies? or my question is stupid:8o oops

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
brachy said:
These chitin segment on prolateral maxilla are the stridulation organs of this spiecies? or my question is stupid:8o oops
No not stupid correct the lyra on the maxilla, with the smaller black "thorns" on retrolateral side of the chelicerae being the strikers.

phil said:
here are a couple of noisy bits
Hissy bit's Phil use the proper term's as invented by me {D.

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

Thank you for answer. These thorns are important when somebody will descripting the spider. or not in all cases ?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
In all cases these strikers (Chilobrachys) are important, but, not always to a specific level. In some cases only of generic importance (to help define the genus within the subfamily), in some cases important to a species group (this might assist to denote perhaps a northern and southern form of the genus, where the variation is found in congeners in sympatry/parapatry, but not significant enough to warrant consideration on a generic level). Specific variation will usually denote those more extreme representatives of the genus, or, perhaps what might be considered either the most apomorphic/plesiomorphic forms within the group. It depends on the species basically, but you asked ;)

Cheers,
Steve

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Like Steve says it's horses for courses, Chilobrachys seem to be a poor one for species id from the lyra from what iv read and seen it's well known (or should be by now) how close the two most common in the pet trade are in that respect and a few others, here's the lyra from a large juv female C.dyscolus i sexed out tonight looks very close to Phil's "huahini".

Attachments

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
insectoman said:
Hello,

burmensis.... you are sure???

regards,
Benoît
Agreed Benoit, my "burmensis" (dyscolus?) look like your adult female, with the big stocky front legs.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Bear in mind we can't tell how old this one is from the picture, my females that are 2 years old now look like Vol's picture and have the same RF as dyscolus but looked like the picture here for a few moults before hand.

insectoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes maybe a young specimen... i don't remember the body color of my specimens...

but i'm sceptic...

regards,
Benoît

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Ah don't get me wrong you could well be thinking right to Benoît as a lot of them seem to go into one at certain ages at least to me :confused:.

But it will be a big help when Volker's work is finished too just incase there is more then the two most common large brown species doing the rounds in the hobby which could be the case in years to come if not now.

pietrezuelas

Arachnopeon
No, i´m not sure :( It´s a young one and i think can change colours when grow!! They sold me as a burmensis... It´s less than 1 year old. So can be another specie?

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
If it's only a year old it may be a bit to soon to be getting a ID on it, id let it grow a bit and hope it's female.

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chilobrachys fimbriatus adult male

Chilobrachys fimbriatus juv. poss female