Chilobrachys spp.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I am so confused about the Chilobrachys genus, so if someone can explain the main classifications of this genus I will be really happy. Currently I have two different tarantulas belonging to this group. One is a chilobrachys fimbriatus, native to India and the classification of this one is pretty straight forward. The other one I bought as a Chilobrachys sp. "Vietnam Blue", but what on earth does that mean? Is this simply a Chilobrachys dyscolus that in Vietnam is blueish rather than brown or is it a separate species? My searches on the world wide web has done nothing except making me even more confused :D

Also I have noted something strange in the behavior of both my specimens. They sometimes act like a "boxer", almost throwing repeated punches at the pipette or a straw rather than trying to bite it! This is quite peculiar tarantulas.

I really like this tarantulas. They web almost as much as my OBTs and GBB and they come with a highly entertaining attitude and a speed that rivals any tarantula of any genus. The "Vietnam Blue" also gradually changes colours. After a molt she has the most amazing blue colour, but after some time it turns into greyish-brown, before she molts again and reappear strikingly blue :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chilobrachys sp. "Vietnam Blue" means it just hasn't been specified yet, but assumed to belong to the genus and coming from that locality listed as species currently. As for that "boxer" - my fimbriatus do a double or triple-slap when really aggrevated. Word of advice: If they start doing that, it's usually is the absolutely last warning before they'll bite. :D

Also, check here: CLICKY

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I hope some work will be done with the classifications of these spp. As it is now, I have seen brown, blue and black spiders being sold as Chilobrachys dyscolus or under different strange names as "Vietnam blue", "Black Satan", "Black Thailand", "Chocolate Brown Burmese" etc. Its a real mess and makes it next to impossible to refer to these spp. with any accuracy.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
There are a lot of undescribed(or not ID'd(meaning it could all ready be described just has not been compared to type material)) Chilobrachys. What was(and still is) sold as Chilobrachys sp. 'blue' or 'Vietnam blue' was examined by Volker Von Wirth and they match both the type specimen of C. dyscolus and type locale of south Vietnam. What has been in the hobby for years as C. dyscolus are from Thailand may be a regional variant or not. Keep them separate. Chilobrachys sp. 'Black Satan' is a new to the hobby and is not Chilobrachys dyscolus.

As of now I have mine from Chilobrachys from Vietnam labeled; Chilobrachys dyscolus 'blue' (South Vietnam) I suggest you do the same to avoid confusion down the road.

Last edited:

Eli824

ArachnoEnthusiast
Is it me or does the chilibrachys Satan look a lot like the selenocosmia javenesis sumatrana ?