Chilobrachys sp. blue care?

tmama

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of getting a Chilobrachys sp. blue (common name Vietnamese Blue?) What would be recommended for their moisture with substrate? Do they like it bone dry like my Rosea or need a misting? I've read their enclosure should be terrestrial and a deep substrate. Will coco fiber work? Also will they be okay room temp (70°F) Thanks for any input. Any additional care info appreciated!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you should hold off on OW species like that until you know what sort of things to expect from more defensive tarantulas..
Chilobrachys are a bad second tarantula, especially if youre not used to fast defensive species. their venom is nothing to laugh at as well.. check out the bite reports section, pretty crazy stuff. they also need it quite humid, nothing like a porteri.

tmama

Arachnopeon
you should hold off on OW species like that until you know what sort of things to expect from more defensive tarantulas..
Chilobrachys are a bad second tarantula, especially if youre not used to fast defensive species. their venom is nothing to laugh at as well.. check out the bite reports section, pretty crazy stuff. they also need it quite humid, nothing like a porteri.
I know both my Rosea and Pulchripes are NW and pretty relaxed. I never handle them and wouldn't plan on with any species. I have kept humid enclosures for Heterometrus sp. What would you recommend as a step up from my current collection? The Chilobrachys is being sold locally which is why I was curious about him.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I know both my Rosea and Pulchripes are NW and pretty relaxed. I never handle them and wouldn't plan on with any species. I have kept humid enclosures for Heterometrus sp. What would you recommend as a step up from my current collection? The Chilobrachys is being sold locally which is why I was curious about him.
keep it just like a Heterometrus. i think a Psalmopoeus cambrigei would be a good fit. they like it a little moist, and are quite fast but according to @cold blood not very defensive. after raising that to adulthood, (1 year give or take) you'll be ready for an OW.

tmama

Arachnopeon
keep it just like a Heterometrus. i think a Psalmopoeus cambrigei would be a good fit. they like it a little moist, and are quite fast but according to @cold blood not very defensive. after raising that to adulthood, (1 year give or take) you'll be ready for an OW.
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look into them.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I agree with the others here! Don´t get a Chilobrachys now!! If you still decide to get it, keep it with plenty of slightly moist substrate. They will burrow and need sufficient amount of substrate to do so. The day to day maintenance is quite easy as the spider will spend most of the time in a burrow, but you will need to rehouse it sooner or later and that´s were the problems might arise.

tmama

Arachnopeon
I agree with the others here! Don´t get a Chilobrachys now!! If you still decide to get it, keep it with plenty of slightly moist substrate. They will burrow and need sufficient amount of substrate to do so. The day to day maintenance is quite easy as the spider will spend most of the time in a burrow, but you will need to rehouse it sooner or later and that´s were the problems might arise.
I agree, I'm just going to look into faster NW before getting an OW. My girls are so chill now, and I understand that others can be fast but I may be underestimating the speed since I've never dealt with one now. I'm glad I posted instead of impulse buying lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lots of inches of moist substrate. Fake leaves. A piece of cork bark, no matter how much priced in the U.S is, is always accepted. A water dish. Done.

Thank you for opting for a little brat and not for the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :troll:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
little extra tidbit for Chilobrachys; try to provide some anchor points for webbing. sometimes the spider will just make a giant web instead of hiding in a burrow most of the time. looks really cool too.

cold blood

Staff member
Nice, are they out a lot?
The more they grow, the more they are out...every adult I have ever had has been pretty much out all the time.

Just prior to molting they may web themselves in, but otherwise they're great display spiders.

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
If you want alternative species to prepare you for certain OWs speed wise, get a Neoholothele incei or any Holothele. Dwarf species, can be bolty and extremely quick. I've been keeping for about 4 months and I felt ready for and old world after dealing with my incei and sanguiniceps for awhile. Everyone is different though, get one when you know you'r ready.