Chilobrachys huahini??

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking of getting a C. huahini sling as my next T. I looked for care-sheets all over and all the ones didn't give any specifics about this species.

Do they like it moist or dry?

Are they a Arboreal, Terrestrial, or Burrowing species?

Do they web alot and are they out in the open?

Whats their max size as adults?

Are they fast, average, or slow growers?

Also are they as fast or defensive as a obt or are they semi-docile?

If anyone has any more info that i need to know about this species it would be appreciated. Would it be compareable to a P.regalis, obt, P. cambridgi, or B.vagans, B. albopilosum, G.rosea? Thanks.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive had 2 from slings. Got them at around 2cm i think, a year or so ago. They are up to about 7cm at the moment.
I keep mine in containers filled with substrate. Keep it relatively dry. Mist once a week, but never see them drinking. They are definately burrowing species. I hardly ever see mine out, but look at them through the container in their burrows. Seen a friends female that is around 15 or 16cm. They are really fast though when they get out of the burrow though. And give nice bites. :)

user 666

Arachnobaron
I am in the middle of rehousing my C huahini and I was looking for opinions on their car when I found this thread.

My T is most certainly not a burrower. It has made wb tunnels over and through the plastic plants.

When I rehouse it I plan to give it a lot of space to make more wb tunnels.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Do they like it moist or dry?
I keep mine pretty moist but not swampy, I overflow the water dish and periodically dampen the substrate

Are they a Arboreal, Terrestrial, or Burrowing species?
They're primarily burrowers but if you don't give them room to burrow then they will web up everything like a GBB

Do they web alot and are they out in the open?
Mine has burrowed but it also webbed up everything near the entrance, it's kind of a pet hole, I rarely see it outside of its burrow, I mainly see a few legs protruding from the mouth of its burrow when it's hungry.

Whats their max size as adults?
Not sure, I read between 6-8 inch leg span for females.

Are they fast, average, or slow growers?
I got mine as a 1cm sling in October and it's probably just over 2.5 inches now, I hear males can mature in as little as 18 months.

Also are they as fast or defensive as a obt or are they semi-docile?
They're bloody fast but mine just disappears inside its burrow at the slightest disturbance, I haven't noticed any real defensiveness aside from one threat posture when I first housed it.

**EDIT**

Just clocked how old this is.

@user 666, Y u necrow 8 yr uld thred?

images.jpg

@The Grym Reaper, Y u no pae attenshun be4 powsting?

images.jpg

user 666

Arachnobaron
I was looking for care instructions online and found a thread that gave advice that described a T the exact opposite of what I have.

Is the advice wrong, do I not have a C huahini, or what? I don't know yet, but I thought getting this question answered was a good reason to revive this thread.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I was looking for care instructions online and found a thread that gave advice that described a T the exact opposite of what I have.

Is the advice wrong, do I not have a C huahini, or what? I don't know yet, but I thought getting this question answered was a good reason to revive this thread.
I found information was a bit sketchy when I got mine as a surprise freebie, what I basically managed to gather on them was:

Keep them on deep/moist substrate (as you would with other Asian obligate burrowers) so that they can burrow but also provide anchor points for webbing, they grow quickly, are good eaters and just to be aware they're quick as fook/can be a bit evil.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Keep it the same way you would any other Chilobrachys spp. they do typically burrow when given the right conditions. I keep the substrate moderately moist, occasionally over filling the water dish.

user 666

Arachnobaron
My T must be the exception, then. It doesn't want to burrow at all.

Still, I will be sure to give it the opportunity to burrow in its new enclosure - just in case.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
My T must be the exception, then. It doesn't want to burrow at all.

Still, I will be sure to give it the opportunity to burrow in its new enclosure - just in case.
Huahini seem to be the oddball of Chilobrachys, had a female for nearly 9 years, burrowed as a sling, terrestrial as a juvenile and semi arboreal til she passed away last year. Her final enclosure was a 12X12X18 arboreal setup, spent the final years like a Psalmopoeus species. I've read posts on other forums that their's did the same.
The other species of Chilobrachys I have are burrowers, save a C. andersoni that has webbed its entire enclosure similar to a C. cyaneopubescens. :)

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for their inputs on the species, I'm still yet to own any though. But that should change here soon, as i am getting more into the hobby again.