1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Chilobrachys fimbriatus

Discussion in 'Breeding Reports' started by Matthew, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Matthew

    Matthew ArachnoTexan Old Timer

    Male came from Micheal Jacobi at the SpiderShoppe.
    It matured in Oct of last year and I recived it in Feb.

    It was breed on 2/3/04
    We got an egg sac on 3/25/04
    I pulled the sac on 3/29/04
    I opened the sac on 4/21/04 (eggs with legs)
    5/3/04 (nymphs)
    6/10/04 Spiderlings

    Total babys 275!

  2. ShadowBlade

    ShadowBlade Planeswalker Old Timer

    So far, Successful.

    Male mated to female 11/2/06. (Today).

    Attempted night before, female very receptive, but male could not position her, and she injured his leg somehow. (It wasn't hard, she's 4x his size). He gave up. Mating today was successful. After half an hour of courting her, she came out a little from her burrow, I know he got atleast one, and most likely both insertions. He was then crushed. He was left with her, obviously for a good feed.

    Even though she was fat enough to ignore crix, she ate the male. :rolleyes: - sorry Eric, she got him.

    Will update with more info when available.
    Pics of mating in my photo thread.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  3. ShadowBlade

    ShadowBlade Planeswalker Old Timer


    Beautiful fat sac, pulled after a month, were still eggs.. incubated, and developed. They're just today starting to molt into instars.

    Here's a pic of post-embryos-

    View attachment 61146

    And instars-

    View attachment 61165

    Count, ~100, plus many in second incubator, because about 20 remained stuck to the sack, and are having difficulties molting, but many are making out fine.

    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Chilobrachys fimbriatus female mated.

    I bought a MM from a board member in the beginning of October for a female that had been bought at a local show in late September. The females last molt date was sometime in September the dealer was not 100% sure. Mating took place on 10/25/07. Female is about 4”.

    Lighting - N/A There were no special lighting provided with this pairing.

    Temps- 78-80.

    Breeding was done at night in the tarantula room.

    The female is living in a small arboreal cube filled 2/3 with peat moss. She constructed a burrow that extended all the way to the bottom of the cube and webbed everything she could touch. When MM was introduced he ran in with reckless abandon straight into her burrow landing on top of her. I thought for sure he was going to be lunch, but they moved around some and the MM moved right in for several inserts. The pairing lasted over an hour, and when it was over the MM just scooted over and sat next to the female. I allowed the MM to co habit with the female for several weeks mainly due to the fact I could not get to the male to take him out.
    About three weeks later the MM was spotted outside of the burrow and was removed to be sent to another board member.

    Since the MM’s removal the female has been eating very well. Her tank was allowed to dry out almost all the way. I have misted her webbing a few times as well. Her burrow has been widening over the last few days and food is being refused. Misting has also increased since the refusal of food began.

    Updates will be added when there is a result to post.

    Here is one picture from the pairing.

    • Like Like x 1
  5. AzJohn

    AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

    I placed my MM with the female March 6th, at around 7:30PM. He drummed until the female came out of her borrow. Courtship lasted several minutes; the male was removed that evening. I fed the female a large roach. I placed the male with the female the next evening at 7:00PM. He went strait down her borrow. Her borrow was against the glass so I was able to witness the entire breeding. He would get the female up and attempt to mate for up to 30 minutes. He would then retreat to the entrance of the borrow. After a few a while he would enter the borrow again for another round of mating. This continued until 12:00 AM at witch point I went to bed. I attempted to remove the male once, but he dived into the females borrow and I didn't feel like going after him. Several inserts were witnessed. The next morning the female was eating the male, this despite the roach she ate the night before. She is now huge.
  6. AzJohn

    AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

    Up date

    Eggsack laid May 1st
    Removed May 20th
    Eggs with legs May 22nd
    1st instar June 17
    Total hatch out 150+

  7. Jmugleston

    Jmugleston Arachnoprince Old Timer

    This was not very successful, but the data might prove useful since I was able to record the dates on the single surviving sling.

    Courtship was short with the male and female drumming back and forth for a few moments. Once they came into contact with each other, the process lasted about one hour. Multiple inserts were witnessed during this time.

    Female: Ch_fi_8

    Most recent molt: Hasn't molted in my care (Acquired 10/2009)

    Male: Ch_fi_4 & Ch_fi_5

    Most recent molts: September 2009

    First pairing date: 20/Nov/2009

    Second pairing date: 25/Nov/2009

    Eggsac Found: 7/Feb/2009

    Eggsac Pulled: 24/Feb/10
    The eggsac was a mess with fungus and mites. I removed the eggs that still looked to be alive and placed them in a coffee filter. I then sprayed water from a spray bottle on to the eggs and rinsed the mites and goop from them. Once finished, the eggs were set up as normal in an incubator. 2 made it to the post embryo stage. One died the next day. The following dates are for the sole surviving sling.

    Eggs with legs: 26/Feb 2010

    1st Instars: 16/Mar/10

    2nd instars: 16/Apr/10

    Total slings: 1
  8. Storm76

    Storm76 Arachnoemperor

    Breeding C. fimbriatus - outcome: Not successful

    Female: "Hera" - Size: ~5.5" - Last Molt: 07/2014

    Male: "Ares" - Size: ~4.5" at the most - Last Molt: Unknown, he reappeared MM as of 08/2014

    Acquired from and when:
    Both parents were purchased from M. Scheller at 08/2012 as 3rd instar slings and raised by me.

    Date of Pairing: October 2nd, 2014
    Time: 1700hrs (5:00pm) to ~1730hrs (5:30pm) local time Germany

    Introduced the male into the females enclosure and closed the lid. Went to tone the light done leaving only the last bits of daylight into the room. Male sat in the enclosure for about 10 minutes before venturing around. Started to drum only once down before the females burrow, which caused her to come rapidly out drumming in return. She was very receptive and multiple insertions could be witnessed. This lasted for about 30 minutes, after which the female slowly retreated back down her burrow with no aggression towards the male at all. At this point I decided to turn the lights back on and retrieve him from her cage. He's safe and sound back in his cage, the female was fed a couple maelworms.

    Fingers crossed!


    * Sac was laid March 1st, 2015
    * Sac was tried to be pulled 30 days later for the first time, I aborted since I was sick and not up to my A-game, plus T was completely fired up - didn't want to take the risk of accidental injury to either T, sac, or myself.
    * Sac was eventually pulled June, 5th 2015 - upon opening showed considerable mold on the EWLs (overall count around ~60, those seemingly ok were only 20-30 of them)

    Shot of some of them:

    * EWLs put into incubator - 5 days later those that seemed alright, developed mold as well and none of them survived sadly

    Final notes:
    Obviously I should've removed the covering on the cage keeping humidity inside, because I'm pretty sure I condemned this attempt to failure by not removing it. Humidity was simply too high in there, hence the development of mold. Additionally, me not having been able to pull the sac early enough, probably contributed to the failure as well. For the next time, I'll be prepared and removed the cover, only keeping her waterdish filled.