Chilobrachys fimbriatus or Pterinochilus murinus

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Im pretty sure he recently bred her, I gotta admit I would take C.fimbriatus over P.murinus any day ;) not saying OBTs aren't cool, but man C.fimbriatus has gotta be the pick between those two, if you could only pick one.
He was talking about the P. murinus... I think. Listen, I love the color orange. My computer is orange. My phone is orange. My car is orange. I. Love. Orange. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the Orange Bitey Thing turned out to be an Orange Buried Tarantula :banghead:

But yes, I paired my lovely C. fimbriatus and she's currently sitting on a nice fat sac :kiss:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
He was talking about the P. murinus... I think. Listen, I love the color orange. My computer is orange. My phone is orange. My car is orange. I. Love. Orange. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the Orange Bitey Thing turned out to be an Orange Buried Tarantula :banghead:

But yes, I paired my lovely C. fimbriatus and she's currently sitting on a nice fat sac :kiss:

Yeah I thought he was talking about your C.fimbriatus, that sack looks good! Well done, I especially like the way you set up your girl, makes for a much more entertaining pet when it isn't always hidden.

Depro900

Arachnopeon

Unlike most tarantulas, you can actually choose how to care for this spider. If you give webbing anchor points (as I've done above), you'll end up with a display spider that makes elaborate web tunnels. If you provide nothing but substrate, it will burrow very deep and you'll have a pet hole. Your choice.

Either way, you'll want to keep this species fairly damp. I never let the substrate dry out completely. Slings will die within a day or two on dry substrate, although juvies and adults can handle the occasional drought. As for keeping it damp with all the webbing, I haven't found that to be an issue. Just have a crater where your water dish is - that is, almost a bowl that is below the level of the rest of the substrate. Heavily overfill the water dish and the rest of the substrate will damped via the wicking effect. Due to the high humidity, ensure that you've got plenty of ventilation. A stuffy enclosure will kill most animals, this spider is no different. Luckily, since there is so much webbing, mold shouldn't really be an issue for you.

Heads up. If a spider could be called aggressive, this is it. Adult females will actively chase intruders. They will not stand their ground, they will run towards you. They are very hesitant to leave their enclosure though, so that's good. They grow fairly quickly; expect adult males within 18 months and adult females within 2 years. That being said, don't be afraid to feed relatively heavily.

Without exaggeration, this is my favorite species that I've kept. Amazing coloration, great webbing, always out (if not given a burrowing setup), and a nasty attitude.

Depro900

Arachnopeon

Unlike most tarantulas, you can actually choose how to care for this spider. If you give webbing anchor points (as I've done above), you'll end up with a display spider that makes elaborate web tunnels. If you provide nothing but substrate, it will burrow very deep and you'll have a pet hole. Your choice.

Either way, you'll want to keep this species fairly damp. I never let the substrate dry out completely. Slings will die within a day or two on dry substrate, although juvies and adults can handle the occasional drought. As for keeping it damp with all the webbing, I haven't found that to be an issue. Just have a crater where your water dish is - that is, almost a bowl that is below the level of the rest of the substrate. Heavily overfill the water dish and the rest of the substrate will damped via the wicking effect. Due to the high humidity, ensure that you've got plenty of ventilation. A stuffy enclosure will kill most animals, this spider is no different. Luckily, since there is so much webbing, mold shouldn't really be an issue for you.

Heads up. If a spider could be called aggressive, this is it. Adult females will actively chase intruders. They will not stand their ground, they will run towards you. They are very hesitant to leave their enclosure though, so that's good. They grow fairly quickly; expect adult males within 18 months and adult females within 2 years. That being said, don't be afraid to feed relatively heavily.

Without exaggeration, this is my favorite species that I've kept. Amazing coloration, great webbing, always out (if not given a burrowing setup), and a nasty attitude.
I'm going with the C. fimbriatus and am ordering one this week! I'm very excited. Do you think they are an overall hardy species to keep? Also what do you mean by since theres so much webbing mold shouldn't be a problem? does webbing kill mold somehow?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm going with the C. fimbriatus and am ordering one this week! I'm very excited. Do you think they are an overall hardy species to keep? Also what do you mean by since theres so much webbing mold shouldn't be a problem? does webbing kill mold somehow?
Hardy? No, not really. But not difficult, either. In terms of husbandry, this is an intermediate species to keep. It's advanced in so far as their disposition and venom potency, but not hardiness. Just don't let their substrate dry out - that's all. If you keep them in a burrowing setup, then the top 1"-2" of substrate can dry out, but the deeper layers can't. They'll retreat underground during periods of drought. In other words, if you're questioning your husbandry with this species then keep it in a burrowing setup. If you think that you can keep it moist 24/7, then do a webbing setup if you wish. They literally need 1"-2" of substrate in a webbing setup. They won't burrow at all when given anchor points. Dirt curtains, perhaps. Burrowing? Not at all.

Note: Everything above applies to late juvies and adults. Slings and young juvies will absolutely burrow, and require inches of substrate.