Chill Rose T not moved

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Sorry for late reply, my daughter had a different opinion on how to fill my evening than i did..:D
Those enclosures look great! I will be a little jealous if you use those, haha.
Pet store owners rarely give good advice unfortunately, so i am glad you came here :).
I use those bricks as well, if you need it to dry fast, you can put some on a baking mat and put it in the oven. Turn and toss it so it dries better. Let it cool completely and it is ready to use. Id just wait until your new enclosure comes in, and set it up right. You can add the vines, but it will become a hiding place for crickets. Make sure the skull is buried so there are no sharp edges or pointy things. Add a hide and a waterdish, and you're done. Leave her to settle in for a few days after.
This species doesn't move much overall, with the exception of a few excavators here and there.
Oh I bet you had fun though
I've been stressing all evening trying to sort this out also been looking at different substrate that's already pre made but can't find reviews on it like eco life ever heard of anyone using it?

I'm glad I came onto here as well it has been a great help, it's ok the vines can go into my Royals tank and the skull can I'll leave her the hide and water bowl

Do they use there webs much?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
What are the dimensions of these cages? And how does the lid lock? Tarantula are master escape artists so you have to make sure the tank is secure.
Dimensions are

200x100x95mm

The other one is

381x228x203mm

One is just a click down lid like a lunch box and the other has two magnetic locks on the lid.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
G.rosea don't web a lot, except for maybe molting.
Sorry, i am not familiar with those brands of substrate, i only use those coco peat bricks. Those brands you name are not sold here in the Netherlands. I'd just bake what you have and reuse it.

I had fun while you were searching and reading for your T??? Well, i'd gladly swap places with you so i could read and order new things while you try to convince a whiny toddler that there is no more fireworks to be afraid of and she should just fall asleep already! ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Dimensions are

200x100x95mm

The other one is

381x228x203mm

One is just a click down lid like a lunch box and the other has two magnetic locks on the lid.
Id go with the second one. That way you can add substrate enough for if she decides to burrow or dig.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So do you have a good example of an enclosure that would be good enough for her but I would like to see her and not have a lid where I can't see her in if that makes sense?
Here is mine. The enclosure is a Kritter Keeper.

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
G.rosea don't web a lot, except for maybe molting.
Sorry, i am not familiar with those brands of substrate, i only use those coco peat bricks. Those brands you name are not sold here in the Netherlands. I'd just bake what you have and reuse it.

I had fun while you were searching and reading for your T??? Well, i'd gladly swap places with you so i could read and order new things while you try to convince a whiny toddler that there is no more fireworks to be afraid of and she should just fall asleep already! ;)

Brilliant thank you

I decided to go with a new enclosure which will be delivered tomorrow so I'll put a picture up and see what you think.

Hope you've had an evening to yourself tonight

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Id go with the second one. That way you can add substrate enough for if she decides to burrow or dig.
Thank you so much I was wondering what's the rule on food I mean the size is it half the width of the body or length of the body?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you so much I was wondering what's the rule on food I mean the size is it half the width of the body or length of the body?
Good to read her new home is coming in so soon. Don't forget the time it takes to dry out the substrate in the oven and cooling off.
Re: food size
I think yours is capable of taking down a subadult or adult cricket, medium sized locust, a superworm or three mealworms.
Since you live in the UK, i'd just order some medium sized locusts. They aren't as smelly and noisy as crickets, and you can just order a few to last a few weeks. Careful with feeding this species, if overfed, they tend to go on fasting periods and/or long premolt phases. I think on medium sized locust per week is more than enough. Maybe one every two weeks. Always keep the waterdish full.

I actually had a night to myself tonighy, thank you :)!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
G.rosea don't web a lot, except for maybe molting
I wish mine had gotten that memo! Her entire enclosure is covered in a mat of webbing and I feel bad every time I have to pull cricket carcasses out of it because she works so hard :sorry:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I wish mine had gotten that memo! Her entire enclosure is covered in a mat of webbing and I feel bad every time I have to pull cricket carcasses out of it because she works so hard :sorry:
Of course, over time, everything gets covered with web. Yours has been in there for quite some time from what i learned through your posts. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Of course, over time, everything gets covered with web. Yours has been in there for quite some time from what i learned through your posts. :)
I change her substrate completely once every year or so :)
(Although the most recent time I was able to salvage the layer of webbing so she wasn't too upset with me)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I change her substrate completely once every year or so :)
(Although the most recent time I was able to salvage the layer of webbing so she wasn't too upset with me)
Taking an entire year to cover the place up does not qualify it being much of a webber :D. My Gbb would take serious offence to that!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Taking an entire year to cover the place up does not qualify it being much of a webber :D. My Gbb would take serious offence to that!
Well compared to the rosea/porteri that only web when they're putting down a molt mat she's a webbing machine ;)

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Good to read her new home is coming in so soon. Don't forget the time it takes to dry out the substrate in the oven and cooling off.
Re: food size
I think yours is capable of taking down a subadult or adult cricket, medium sized locust, a superworm or three mealworms.
Since you live in the UK, i'd just order some medium sized locusts. They aren't as smelly and noisy as crickets, and you can just order a few to last a few weeks. Careful with feeding this species, if overfed, they tend to go on fasting periods and/or long premolt phases. I think on medium sized locust per week is more than enough. Maybe one every two weeks. Always keep the waterdish full.

I actually had a night to myself tonighy, thank you :)!

Brilliant thank you, I fed her today but she took 3 out of the 5 and just holds them in her mouth is this normal?

Water dish is always full.

I'm looking forward to setting her new enclosure up for sure

Paiige

Arachnobaron
What would you say is a good beginner webbing spider for an amteur?
I'd say either get another Grammastola (pulchra, pulchripes) or get a Brachypelma (they like to kick hair but as long as you don't stick your hands/face in the enclosure you should be okay.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What would you say is a good beginner webbing spider for an amteur?
Avicularia if you like arboreals; Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens if you prefer terrestrials.

If you plan to get an Avic, read this post for care instructions. (A lot of care sheets lead new keepers to put their Avics in wet, stuffy cages, which kills them.)

machinegunkev

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I am a new owner of a Red Chilli Rose T and I am a complete novice when it comes to T's so I looking for a bit of advice to help put my mind at ease,

Two days ago I finally got my substrate right and my T finally come down of the glass over night but since then she has not moved from the top of her hide, she never goes into her hide or moves around (that I've seen) for two days now, is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.
new T owner here. i was in the same predicament as you, up until this morning...
i got my grammastola this past monday the 2nd, and it stayed in its hide for two straight days!! until this morning and i woke up, looked at its enclosure.. and there it was.. roaming around freely.. being active.. of course an hour later though it was back in its hide and it hasnt moved now for about 8 hours lol. dont freak out its normal :p

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Brilliant thank you, I fed her today but she took 3 out of the 5 and just holds them in her mouth is this normal?

Water dish is always full.

I'm looking forward to setting her new enclosure up for sure
Yes, this is normal, that is the way tarantula eat. :) And don't be worried if she seems to take a long time to eat them, they need to liquify their meals in order to eat.

Re:webbing species
Gbb is a nice starter webber, but this species is rather fast and skittish. Brachypelma is a better second starter imo. B.albopilosum is fairly active (for a tarantula). Avicularia sp. Also make nice webtubes, this species is arboreal, but can be vulnerable for new keepers mistakes. Make sure you read the link @Ungoliant provided first.
But i woukd set up your first tarantula right and start reading on here about basic anatomy and beginner info. A member here made an excellent video series on Youtube, called AraneAid. It goes through all the basics.