Chill Rose T not moved

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you that's good that it will live longer had me worried then. I will send pictures in a couple of hours Do you have any advice for a first timer?
Yes. Read the link, and apply the advice in it to your G.rosea :D

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I would be more concerned if she were moving around excessively. My rosie sits in the same spot for days on end. Sometimes she spins around in a circle. They truly are thrilling Ts to own :D

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
I would be more concerned if she were moving around excessively. My rosie sits in the same spot for days on end. Sometimes she spins around in a circle. They truly are thrilling Ts to own :D
Thank you I came home today and she has moved What do you feed yours because I've been told 100 different things?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Pic of the specimen/ enclosure? If its housed according to its requirements, got fresh water available and not in a death curl or dehydrated I wouldn't sweat it as G. rosea's/ porteri's are considered pet rocks.. T's can be still for weeks and barely move.
Here are the photos of my viv and my T

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Beautiful enclosure...but not for a terrestrial i'm afraid.
Is it an ExoTerra?
Some adjustments that need to be made asap. Raise the substrate level to the point where there is no more than 2 times the Diagonal Legspan between the top of the substrate and the enclosure top, to prevent climbing and falling of the spider. A fall from this height, with that skull there could be lethal. I'm not kidding.

Substrate should be dry for this species.
Please read the link i sent you in this thread earlier, and apply to your enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, i will start at the beginning....the only sub you have to add water to is bricks....everything else is just used as its bought....jungle mix, eco earth, peat moss and top soil are all fine choices.

As for feeding, it will eat anything it can over power...my guess is that all 100 things you were told are probably suitable...just as long as they arent wild caught. Crickets are the industry standard feeder. Keep in mind though, rosies can be picky and show preferences for certain things...crickets work best for mine.

Now onto the enclosure...time to start over. Exo terras are suitable for arboreals...to be used with a terrestrial the cage needs to be modified...i personally just wouldnt use it....those front doors prevent you from adding enough sub to make it a safe home.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Thank you I came home today and she has moved What do you feed yours because I've been told 100 different things?
I've been feeding her crickets her whole life. When she's done fasting this time around, I will be trying dubia roaches to see what she thinks of them.
She hates superworms and wants nothing to do with them.

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Beautiful enclosure...but not for a terrestrial i'm afraid.
Is it an ExoTerra?
Some adjustments that need to be made asap. Raise the substrate level to the point where there is no more than 2 times the Diagonal Legspan between the top of the substrate and the enclosure top, to prevent climbing and falling of the spider. A fall from this height, with that skull there could be lethal. I'm not kidding.

Substrate should be dry for this species.
Please read the link i sent you in this thread earlier, and apply to your enclosure.

It is exo terra and they said in the shop it would be fine for her Time to start a fresh I think and I will read it but I struggle to get the substrate right and dry because all they sell in the store are the bricks and I can never dry it out enough Any hints for substrate?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Ok, i will start at the beginning....the only sub you have to add water to is bricks....everything else is just used as its bought....jungle mix, eco earth, peat moss and top soil are all fine choices.

As for feeding, it will eat anything it can over power...my guess is that all 100 things you were told are probably suitable...just as long as they arent wild caught. Crickets are the industry standard feeder. Keep in mind though, rosies can be picky and show preferences for certain things...crickets work best for mine.

Now onto the enclosure...time to start over. Exo terras are suitable for arboreals...to be used with a terrestrial the cage needs to be modified...i personally just wouldnt use it....those front doors prevent you from adding enough sub to make it a safe home.

Thank you for your post. Its really helpful. So with the bricks and the other substrate how do I dry them out enough for her?

Do you have an example of a decent enclosure where I can actually see her in

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Lol, i did not say that or posted this i think there went something wrong with quoting ;)
It did sorry,

So do you have a good example of an enclosure that would be good enough for her but I would like to see her and not have a lid where I can't see her in if that makes sense?

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
I've been feeding her crickets her whole life. When she's done fasting this time around, I will be trying dubia roaches to see what she thinks of them.
She hates superworms and wants nothing to do with them.
Thank you now for a stupid question but what do you keep yours in as I've realised I'm messed my enclosure up

cold blood

Staff member
Anything with a top that opens will work. This will allow you to fill it wil sub properly. I use sterilite, but it doesnt have the visibility you want. A 5 gal tank with a drilled plexi or acrylic top would be fine...just limit the ground clutter as its just hiding places for feeders.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Thank you now for a stupid question but what do you keep yours in as I've realised I'm messed my enclosure up
I keep mine in a 10 gallon glass tank. This is not the ideal setup for them as it's a bit too big, but she's been in it her entire life and her hide is huge so moving her to anything smaller would be detrimental to her well-being in my opinion. I'd recommend a smaller enclosure, with tons of substrate. My girl is a big climber.

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
Anything with a top that opens will work. This will allow you to fill it wil sub properly. I use sterilite, but it doesnt have the visibility you want. A 5 gal tank with a drilled plexi or acrylic top would be fine...just limit the ground clutter as its just hiding places for feeders.
Awesome that's fantastic thank you would any of these be ok for her?
Just so I know before buying?

Attachments

TheSwarm88

Arachnopeon
I keep mine in a 10 gallon glass tank. This is not the ideal setup for them as it's a bit too big, but she's been in it her entire life and her hide is huge so moving her to anything smaller would be detrimental to her well-being in my opinion. I'd recommend a smaller enclosure, with tons of substrate. My girl is a big climber.
Mine is beautiful and I just want to see her but I realise that the enclosure isn't good but do you think these would do?

Also what do you think of pro rep spider life substrate?

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Awesome that's fantastic thank you would any of these be ok for her?
Just so I know before buying?
Sorry for late reply, my daughter had a different opinion on how to fill my evening than i did..:D
Those enclosures look great! I will be a little jealous if you use those, haha.
Pet store owners rarely give good advice unfortunately, so i am glad you came here :).
I use those bricks as well, if you need it to dry fast, you can put some on a baking mat and put it in the oven. Turn and toss it so it dries better. Let it cool completely and it is ready to use. Id just wait until your new enclosure comes in, and set it up right. You can add the vines, but it will become a hiding place for crickets. Make sure the skull is buried so there are no sharp edges or pointy things. Add a hide and a waterdish, and you're done. Leave her to settle in for a few days after.
This species doesn't move much overall, with the exception of a few excavators here and there.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
What are the dimensions of these cages? And how does the lid lock? Tarantula are master escape artists so you have to make sure the tank is secure.