Chilean Rose molting for 48 hours

MelissaMikes

Arachnopeon
I have had my female Chilean Rose, Scarlett, for a little over 4 years now. She has had 3 successful molts while I have had her, and I have been expecting this molt for the past couple of weeks as she started refusing food and going "bald".

When I got home from work around 3 PM on Tuesday, August 29th, Scarlett was laying on her back. I was excited and kept peeking back every couple of hours to see her progress. She made none. So I went to sleep that night, fully expecting to find her molted the next day, but she was in the exact same position. I was scared that she was dead, so I took the top of her tank and that commotion was enough to get her to move, so great, she's not dead, But she appeared to not have even started coming out of her exo skeleton.

I let her be as she was clearly very lively, kicking around like crazy if i moved the top of her tank, and I didn't want to stress her out. Other than that though, I would never see her move, I've watched her molt before, where her body kind of pulses and pushes out of the bottom of her exo, but none of that was happening. I left her alone for another night, and woke up this morning on Thursday with her in the EXACT SAME POSITION. I was thinking she was dead, but again, she moved when I opened it. At this point, she had substrate all around her from kicking, so I kind of cleared that away, so she was on a flatter surface (she made a web "bed" but instead laid next to it on the substrate) after that, I put the top back on and was leaving to go to work, but I peeked one last time before I left and her body was finally outstretched and her legs twitching or pulsing like they usually do when she molts.

My main questions are, is it possible that she was upside down for the past couple of days, but hadn't started actually molting yet?

And is there even a chance that she could still make it or is it pretty much a lost cause?

Is there any use in me trying to intervene, or should I just let her be at this point?

And a little extra info:
She is DEFINITELY female
She's about 5"
I will take a pic when I get home from work
and she definitely is still completely in her exo, her spindles, all her legs, and her fangs are still moving on the outside.
There is no chance that she has mites in her enclosure, I clean all dead/live crickets, and she always has access to fresh water.

We are approaching 48 hours of her being upside down, so please, if anyone could help at all or offer any advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
I love Scarlett, she is my first and only Tarantula and I would hate to lose her, but I've been trying to get myself ready just in case it happens.

(sorry for the super long post)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Right, stop touching her. That's nearly always detrimental as well a very basic part of keeping tarantulas.

Secondly , leave her alone. They can take very long as they age.

Edit: My girl took two and a half days last time to finish her molt. That was 3 years ago. I expect nothing faster this time.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
48 hours is a long time, even in rosie time. But I would do nothing. Just wait it out. Maybe she will surprise you with a moult.
But even if something has gone wrong -- you will make matters worse if you intervene in any way. Her care beforehand weighs in heavier than anything you can do now.

So - wait and see (and stop trying to make her move) -- unless you smell death or start seeing her covered in mites -- keep the hope.

MelissaMikes

Arachnopeon
Okay, thank you so much for the quick responses, I knew to leave her alone, just as time passed I was getting pretty worried.

But I will definitely leave her completely alone now and hope for the best.