Chilean Rose hurt

Flame knee

Arachnopeon
Hi I checked on my Chilean rose to find an unexplained injury.
I don’t leave food in longer than overnight, I only feed gut loaded locust and never seen an injury like this so don’t believe it’s to do with it’s food and there is nothing in the tank that is sharp to cause this so I’m a bit baffled! Also what’s the best course of action? I have been dripping from a syringe a iodine solution. She has recently molted so perhaps she just rubbed it on something while the shell was still hardening? She hasn’t eaten for a couple of months worried this now mite put her off her food even longer and delay recover. Thanks everyone

Attachments

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I’m sorry, did you say you were putting iodine on her? You wanna run that by me one more time?

boina

Lady of the mites
Iodine solution near the mouth??? Are you trying to kill your tarantula?

Is it bleeding? If not it isn't an open wound and iodine won't do a thing except it may destroy the gut if the tarantula ingests it during grooming. Even if it is an open would practically everything is safer than iodine solution.

Last edited:

Flame knee

Arachnopeon
Yea pet shop sold it to me said it’s best thing for wounds didn’t say not to use it on tarantulas just don’t use it neat mix it with water.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
You really cannot clean a tarantula's wound in the same way you would a dog or cat's. Think about this: tarantulas have moulting injuries in the wild. Some survive, some don't. I realise the hand's off approach sounds completely counter-intuitive but really it's best for the spider. I hope your tarantula makes it. Please don't put any chemicals on or near it that can do a world of hurt. Just let it rest and hope for the best.

Yea pet shop sold it to me said it’s best thing for wounds didn’t say not to use it on tarantulas just don’t use it neat mix it with water.
Arthropods and mammals basically come from two different planets. Don't EVER believe what people in pet shops tell you at face value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flame knee

Arachnopeon
My mistake it’s not iodine it’s tamodine. on the instructions it only sais not to use on amphibians.

Ok thanks for the reply guys I will leave well alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yup, that's true. Pet shop people loves to promote/try to sell everything. Once a pet shop owner, in Tunisia, wanted to give me one of his wives and carpets as well, during a bulk sale negotiation for a couple of Dromedaries :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That looks like a slight setae rub... nothing worrisome. Leave it alone.

Also, "not eating" and "G. rosea" go hand in hand. Many, many desert terrestrials fast for LONG periods. If the abdomen is plump and smooth, don't worry if the spider doesn't eat. Just always have a water bowl available (without any props in it, like sponges).

Polenth

Arachnobaron
My mistake it’s not iodine it’s tamodine. on the instructions it only sais not to use on amphibians.
Tamodine is povidone-iodine and sold as a disinfectant for vertebrate pets, which is why it tells you which vertebrates it can't be used on safety. That doesn't mean it's safe for invertebrates. You should always research any medication, especially if you're using something that doesn't have instructions for your animal.

The good news is "Invertebrate Medicine" by Gregory A. Lewbart specifically mentions using povidone-iodine on spiders for external fungal infections. Your spider doesn't have that, so it wasn't needed, but it means she's not likely to die because of the treatment. (Obviously, stop doing it because it isn't needed, but I figured it might give some peace of mind that it wasn't death in a bottle.)

Flame knee

Arachnopeon
Yes thank you for clearing that up. I thought it was strange as I was finding articles on the net of people using these products for infections. I will just keep an eye on it. I did check the old molt and it does look like there was a scab of some sort where the wound is so it probably came off during the molt and exposed it so hopefully will heal up nicely again.

ShockWave

Arachnopeon
In this case doing less is more. Just make sure it has good access to clean water. Feed based on abdomen size. If plump then no need to worry about how much it eats. I’m surprised no one has asked to see the enclosure...