Chilean Red Devil Harvestman (Metagyndes innata)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I took a few photos of my Metagyndes innata colony. The majority of females have extended abdomen (about 50% larger than from when I recieved them). I am hoping/suspecting that they are gravid.

The males are the ones with horns/spikes, while the females lack this characteristic.

Enjoy!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice! What do you feed them? Are they scavengers?
For most of their meals I throw in grated carrots, and the odd mushed up pieces of straweberry, avocado, or grape. I also will kill small crickets and leave them.

They do hunt though, so I throw in a few small crickets (1 week to 2 week old) and they catch them and chow down.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure those are even from THIS PLANET? They are really bizarre, what exactly are they?

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are strange indeed, very cool! Shouldnt they be in Other Invertebrates tho?

Burak

Arachnopeon
They are arachnids ( sensu lato ) . Therefore , the post has been placed in the correct section .

Dr. John
so, theese are the ugliest arachnids i've ever seen :D
but they are really interesting can you give us more informations about theese little friends?
habitats,climate etc. ?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so, theese are the ugliest arachnids i've ever seen :D
but they are really interesting can you give us more informations about theese little friends?
habitats,climate etc. ?

Sadly little is known about them.... or atleast what is posted online.

This species is from Chile and prefers cooler temperatures (never going above 75'F since this stresses them out).

From what I've heard they are found mainly in areas with lots of leaf litter and decaying plant matter (AKA the forest floor or tall grass).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those are awesome. There are a few interesting ones here in Texas too with that basic look and leg length but they don't get very big, big enough though. I've only played around with keeping them once. How big are those?

spider.davies@g

Arachnopeon
They are Laniatores a sub order of Opiliones (Harvestman), had some of these many years ago. I seem to remember they gave off an odour when disturbed or alarmed to much.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are awesome. There are a few interesting ones here in Texas too with that basic look and leg length but they don't get very big, big enough though. I've only played around with keeping them once. How big are those?
The body is the size of a dime or so.

McPede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last edited:

Techuser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks a bit like the ones I keep, the legs of mine are less bold, will post pictures if anyone interested seeing
started feeding them with fish food recently

inside rainforests its pretty easy to find some big ones

McPede

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please do post a photo of yours, Techuser, that would be great!
From Brazil right?

eL Tre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Right, this one is a male, from backyard

OMG! that thing is... idk what to say. its pretty crazy looking. the harvestmen where i live looks SO dull compared to the guys on this thread wth...

GideonSmith08

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These harvestmen look cool. "Regular" harvestmen creep me out. To me, they're like boogers with legs.