Chicken-eating spider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
danread said:
Where does he say he has over 500 species? :?

Do you keep spiders as pets?
Oh yes. I live in a big converted chapel, and they've got one whole end of a hall. I keep, breed, and photograph dozens of species. I always say keeping and feeding 500 tarantulas is cheaper than keeping a single dog!

Ok, he said 500 Ts not species, my bad but still....

-Mattyb

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
brachymad said:
In this thread I think I see 5 hobbyists and about the same number who keep pet trantulas . Mr Nicholas is a very respected man. Done more for the Tarantula than most of you could imagine. I have read the BTS article very well written and informative. Please do a bit of thinking before trying to pull somthing appart based on its title.
I agree with this, I read an article of his in my old reptile keeping magazine and it was excellent, he certainly knows his stuff. :clap:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
Do you keep spiders as pets?
Oh yes. I live in a big converted chapel, and they've got one whole end of a hall. I keep, breed, and photograph dozens of species. I always say keeping and feeding 500 tarantulas is cheaper than keeping a single dog!

Ok, he said 500 Ts not species, my bad but still....
But still what? he has over 500 tarantulas, thats not really that unlikely, i'm sure there are quite a few people on these boards who have more than that. There is a big difference between 500 species and 500 individuals. I really can't understand why you are mouthing off at Martin Nicholas when you know nothing about his work, and nothing about his knowledge of tarantulas. You havent even seen the documentary in question, nor read any of the articles he's written for the BTS, and yet you're happy to say he's "<edit>"?

Your insightful comment upon seeing those links was "huh looks like a blondi to me...."

nice.

smokejuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sadly, TV has been "dumbed" down. It is all about rating and money. As most have noticed that Discovery Channel has moved from the earth around us and new discoveries to monster garage and orange county choppers and the like. It has turned into speed vision. I am not trying to put down those that have contributed to the arachnid community like Rick West, the Schultz's and others. They have put fourth a lot of work and contributions. What I dont like is finally get to see a rare glimps of a very different and intriguing large species of tarantula and read what should have been an intelligent, chat only to have some try to discredit (make fun) of this man when I am relying on them to ask the correct questions so I can learn as much as possble about the unique speciman. A significant amount of talk time was purely wasted. They can have thier ego fights somewhere else where I dont have to hear or read them. Oh and by the way, where is the "pros" film of the magnificent species? A sigificant amount of amateur enthusiest have had many discoveries in all of the world of science including arachinids. Sometimes the professionals cant see the forest for the trees. And as always the people on top criticize them. I guess that is just the way it is.

Adam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok all, I didn't mean to start a flame war here. I never heard of Nicholas and I was curious to see what, if anything, the rest of you knew about him and the "Chicken-eating" Tarantula. The two links I provided were for T.V. show reference only, NOT to identify him as a "<edit>". First of all, what the hell does a person's appearance have to do with what they know? Grow up. Second, I was looking for informative remarks and possibly some Chicken jokes, NOT what this thread has turned into. Can we please keep thing civil? Thanks.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im just curious to know why they called it Chicken Eating spider hahahaha ... If I discover a new ROach i'll name it : Horse Eating Roach

Last edited:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
stewartb said:
Well said.

<snip>

Regards

Stew.
Right. Obviously the British are perfect.

That being said, none of the opening commentary was in any way constructive. If this topic gets ugly we'll have to lock it.

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
Right. Obviously the British are perfect.
i don't know whether to take offence to that or not {D

but seriously, more programs should be forthcoming about inverts without criticism about appearance.

when you look at the herp programs, which sometimes contain inverts, most of the hosts are a little eccentric, but then again aren't we all?

i was going to post the bad points of all the hosts, but thought better of it {D

what i will say is GIVE US MORE INVERT SHOWS REGARDLESS OF APPEARANCE AND MANNERISMS

PS. if you include all the slings and juves at one point i must have had near on 3000 spiders (amazing how a parahybana sac boosts the numbers! lol)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Well said.

<snip>

Regards

Stew.
Don't make this a British vs. American thing, because it's not. It's uninformed overjudgemental people vs people who bother to look at the facts ;)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
danread said:
Don't make this a British vs. American thing, because it's not. It's uninformed overjudgemental people vs people who bother to look at the facts ;)
Agreed!

Can't believe how snobby some people on this thread have shown themselves up to be. :mad:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was by far the snobbiest and I am like a perfect British/American hybrid.

Please blame me and we can all be happy again.

I was wrong, and should have researched before I posted. It was a terrible example to set and one I am not likely to repeat again.

I have absolutely no issue with admitting my faults when they occur.
I mean... it IS so rare after all. ;)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
the difference between the BTS articles, and the original links are night and day.
I'm just hoping that some people bothered to read ALL the links posted, instead of the 'easy and quick' ones. Sounds like alot of media words were put into his mouth, and we all know how rare that is :rolleyes:
The guy is intelligent, and certainly knows his stuff. I'm damn impressed with him.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sheri said:
I was by far the snobbiest and I am like a perfect British/American hybrid.

Please blame me and we can all be happy again.

I was wrong, and should have researched before I posted. It was a terrible example to set and one I am not likely to repeat again.

I have absolutely no issue with admitting my faults when they occur.
I mean... it IS so rare after all. ;)

No no no Sheri. blame it on me. I said a few things i shouldn't have said and i'm man enouph to admit that i was wrong. I still think the whole idea of the chicken spider is a bit dumb, but i shouldn't have judged him before i learned about his work. please accept my apology.

-Mattyb

Adam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I probably should have done a bit more Googling (yes, that's a verb now) before posting the "media" links. If I knew there were BTS articles on the subject, I would have most definitely included those. So I apologize as well, it seems I have a tendency to bring out the worst in people :?

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
don't worry Adam, it's not your fault people are argumentative ;)
I just happened to know he was on the BTS site. He's probably way more well known in England (and the rest of Europe) than here.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
don't worry Adam, it's not your fault people are argumentative ;)
I just happened to know he was on the BTS site. He's probably way more well known in England (and the rest of Europe) than here.

Yes he is well known in europe he's also on the bts committiee. I had a chance to meet him at the bts lectures in feb. (nice Guy)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
even better, he drove us (the dutch gang) back to Marks place! saved us a cab ride (did i mention i'm typ. dutch? $$ )

Status
Not open for further replies.