Chewy the jumping spider

Does she look like she is in subadult or adult stage?

• Maybe

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Willow

Arachnopeon
In these pictures see how her abdomen is partially black? Her abdomen is now fully black except the three spots

Timj

Arachnopeon
Over the last few days she went from being brown to black.
Could she be transitioning from sub adult into adult stage?
Awesome spider but i dont know much about them sorry. Tarantulas go darker before they molt could be the same for them?

Timj

Arachnopeon
In these pictures see how her abdomen is partially black? Her abdomen is now fully black except the three spots
Probably about to molt then and yeah grow up essentially

Willow

Arachnopeon
I found a molt finally. So, do they molt regularly or do they only molt when changing life stages?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I found a molt finally. So, do they molt regularly or do they only molt when changing life stages?
I don't believe they molt once they're mature. They do growing up though.

Do you know the species of your little guy? If it's Phidippus audax, then it's still a subadult and hasn't reached its final molt yet.

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
I don't believe they molt once they're mature. They do growing up though.

Do you know the species of your little guy? If it's Phidippus audax, then it's still a subadult and hasn't reached its final molt yet.
It def looks like a Phidippus Audax subadult. I have one as well 3rd or 4th instar looks the same just slightly different markings. I think Audax do 8 molts before they are mature but I could be wrong.

Willow

Arachnopeon
I believe it's a Phidippus Audax.
I'm not completely sure. This is my first jumping spider I have caught and kept for atleast a month.
I once found a baby jumper but released him because I don't completely know what it would eat.

Zacktigger

Arachnopeon
Will they eat extra before molting, is the re e a chance mine would eat too much

Zacktigger

Arachnopeon
Will they eat extra before molting, is the re e a chance mine would eat too much
When I first got him he wouldn't eat fruit flies or moths for 3 days the 6th day I gave him a cricket and he munched on up, 2-3 days later I gave him another and he ate 1 leg then the rest, will he hurt himself

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
When I first got him he wouldn't eat fruit flies or moths for 3 days the 6th day I gave him a cricket and he munched on up, 2-3 days later I gave him another and he ate 1 leg then the rest, will he hurt himself
I would say that if the spider is willing to pursue it and visually you don't think it's going to be so big it's going to hurt it, it should be okay for the jumper. The spider will avoid it if it thinks it's too big. With a lot of my spiders, I tend to feed larger prey and then I can feed them less often. Jumping spiders are pretty tough little guys. They can take down some pretty big prey. If you're on the edge and you think it's okay but not positive, you can always remove one of the cricket's back legs. Just gently tug on the leg and it should release on its own.

pandabacon

Arachnosquire
They dont really overeat in my experience. They will eat and hunt actively until they get that fat chubby look. Then in my experience either ignore prey or stalk less fervently sometimes just watching it. Sub adults hide when they dont need food and stop eating around and during molting time. If it looks chubby and is lazy about food that usually means its full. Wait 2 or 3 days and feed again.

Willow

Arachnopeon
I found a baby Phidippus Audax in the yard looking for crickets. Im out of fruit flys and live several hours away from nearest supplier. I found him a baby cricket he ate but he wont eat a small mealworm i put in there.. I doubt he is even in subadult stage hes so small