check it out Avicularia seladonium

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hahhahahah now i can be a hit man~!!!!!!
I'm sure the penalty will be higher if you do it for the money. ;)

Anyway, they will give you "life" for murdering someone here. But you'll be out on parole in 10 years... usually. It's pretty messed up, sure, but then again the legal system in the states is even more messed up in many ways. Though, of course it's different here, we don't have murders every day.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here you get life too but you'll live better than most of us 'free' law abiding citizens.

I'm sure the penalty will be higher if you do it for the money. ;)

Anyway, they will give you "life" for murdering someone here. But you'll be out on parole in 10 years... usually. It's pretty messed up, sure, but then again the legal system in the states is even more messed up in many ways. Though, of course it's different here, we don't have murders every day.

Rindy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"If i could get one, i would try to breed them (after getting a little experience with other species :D) and try to get them out of here. For the good of the hobby (and my pocket, i recognize :}). But i would NEVER get a bunch of them from the wild and send them away."

great idea- put me down for a few:drool:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup, this one would probably end up even MORE expensive than a P. metallica if it makes it into the hobby. P. metallica would become the new P. regalis or ornata and everyone will have one of these on their list. :rolleyes: :wall:

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I pmed James Tuttle about bringing this spider to the US. Here's what he said:
These are a very rare spiders out of Brazil and I have friends with a few of them but I expect it will be 1-2 years before I can get any into the US.
James
WELL worth the wait, though, IMO.

TiberiuSahly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last edited by a moderator:

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cool...

guess my question has been answered, one to two years of waiting or a smuggling operation that includes a long hike through a dangerous jungle and a possible 20 yrs in prison... who knew tarantulas could be so much fun!

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol, this is a very rare species even in the wild. You guys talk like you come here, take one from a shelf and get back. I wish it was that easy lol.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the record, I was only kidding. Not about wanting a 1000 of them but actually stealing them.:rolleyes:

I know a route if you want to email me, I have a friend who hiked from his homeland in french suriname into coastal metro brazil. But it's not an easy route, he knows how crazy and forest savvy I am, and he tells me I should take a guide. But I don't roll like that. :) But, that's a heck of a trip right there. Brown recluses and Diamonback rattlesnakes and Black Bears have nothing on what you would run across down there. You don't dominate nature in the rainforest like in the american west... You face natural selection in a way we don't here. That being said, there's gotta be a way besides the overland route. That would be the trip of a lifetime though. Hmmmmmm :3:
Before you decide to pull an <I want to talk to the ambassador>
Read up about the laws there, and prison conditions as well. I can't imagine spending 20 years in prison anywhere. What a nightmare. If it was a year, or two, maybe ... 20??? that isn't anything nice. But there are lots of different options with varying degrees of risk. I wouldn't think you would face 20 years in US receiving them (unless they are cites listed or you get a whole bunch). If you found someone there willing to ship them, you would face what 2-5? But I can't believe you would get much if any time if you are a normally law abiding citizen that is getting 8 or something, for themselves. If you are bringing in 1000 :eek: good luck.
I would want to get a permit personally, otherwise I would have to meet someone who would bring it here, and then sell to me.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i know someone who is "working" on gettin these here for everyone!!

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know someone who is "working" on gettin these here for everyone!!

The question then is, if they do get them here, how ridiculous will the cost be??? I understand the whole supply/demand concept but it would be really nice if if someone could bring them in at a reasonable cost then sell them at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Considering the rarity (and beauty) of these, I'd expect to pay $200-$300 for a sling.

The question then is, if they do get them here, how ridiculous will the cost be??? I understand the whole supply/demand concept but it would be really nice if if someone could bring them in at a reasonable cost then sell them at a reasonable cost.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Considering the rarity (and beauty) of these, I'd expect to pay $200-$300 for a sling.
Actually I don't think they are going to cost that much at first. The prices will get higher of course, if they turn out to be a hit.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed. It also depends on how difficult they are to get here and what volume can be imported initially. Normally a median price is used first and, guaging how fast they sell out at that price, it gets adjusted from there. That rocks for the fortunate few who get one from the first shipment but I suspect the pricing will skyrocket fairly quickly unless they are readily available - think E. olivacea...

Actually I don't think they are going to cost that much at first. The prices will get higher of course, if they turn out to be a hit.

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The USDA referred me to U.C. Davis Museum of Entomology. They are the ones to talk to when it comes to insects. I just received a reply;

Jamie,

To the best of my knowledge, Brazil does not allow the exportation of live or dead insects at this time. It is a great tragedy for us all that the country with the most species in the world is currently off limits to scientific study, but that is the way their government wants it. Arrests have been made and you will serve jail time.

Dr. Steven L. Heydon
Bohart Museum of Entomology
University of California at Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis CA 95616

Phone (530) 752-0493
fax (530) 752-9464
email slheydon@ucdavis.edu

That sucks. Although it is good to know there are people out of Brazil with this species. It will get into the hobby it will just take a while.

-Jamie