Changing the Circadian cycle of my Vinegaroon

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could help me out with a little project of mine.

I normally don't do this with my bugs, but was wondering if i would be able to accomplish a Circadian cycle switch. I want to have my Vinegaroon forage during the day, and sleep during the night. The location of my insect is at my work desk, which is at a warehouse. I really never get to see the vinegaroon during my work hours, and i do not like disturbing his tunnels just to see em.

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, by just switching the lights. But that's about the first step im taking. I'd like to cover my insects habitat with 1 way reflective cover (or at least the front) and block out all outside light. I will then put a small LED light over the top and have that switched to turn on at night and off in the morning.

I know there will be more to this, but do you think it can be achieved?
Edit: I guess it's called Circadian rhythm, not cycle.
Thank you all in advance.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Sure but as soon as you turn on the lights to watch your vinegaroon it will probably hide

Loops117

Arachnopeon
Well. Thats the reason for the 1 way reflective cover. It'll allow me to see in, but nothing to see out. Since the film will reduce visibility a little for us, i'll probably put a red LED light on for human viewing pleasure.

Really, nothing will be turned on or off when i want to view the vinegaroon. Just want it to forage during the day, and sleep at night.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I can feel my brain juices heating up:wideyed:

So let’s see...... I think a one-way reflective cover might not achieve the effect you’re after. The problem with the reflective covers is that you can still see light penetrating it from the other side. If you put the reflective side facing the inside of the enclosure, the light will go right through (maybe tinted a bit). And obviously, you wouldn’t want to reverse it and end up with a mirror box. Security mirrors work because the other side is dark. If the lights get turned on, you can see right through them.

Loops117

Arachnopeon
ooh, i see. I wasnt thinking about that. Do you think there is any other way of manipulating the cycle at all?

I'm no entomologist by any means, but are vinegaroons nocturnal because they hate the light? Or is that just when natural prime foraging hours are. If lights are on 24/7, will they eventually ignore the light and feed when they're hungry instead of only when its dark.
Also, can the Circadian rhythm be manipulated with heat?

If light is the main issue, then i may have to just swap the office insect out for a mantis or something. I'm not going to cover the entire setup in red film, so we'll go another route.

Thank you guys.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
But i would have to change my entire office setting to red light. =O
I don't think so. You can get a cover for the terrarium, then turn off the office light for a little while when you want to watch the vinegaroon.