1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chances of B. Lateralis Escape/reproduce

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Liquifin, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnosquire Active Member

Question regarding B. Lateralis, If a nymph or two escapes. What are the chances of it becoming an annoying pest and invading my home?
    I've had only one actual escape, which was a nymph about 3/4''. It has been 7 months, since before winter came, but no signs of it. Even with traps hoping to catch it in my basement (where I keep my T.'s and feeders) there's nothing. So what are the chances if another nymph escapes and reproduces with the previous escaped B. lateralis?? Winter is almost over here and spring temps are returning. So it's just a question in curiosity.
  2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnolord Active Member

As far as I know, B. lateralis needs optimal conditions in order to breed, so unless your home is in a very hot and humid area, I don´t think they are likely to breed.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I've had a few escapes but it seems that they can't reproduce in my house unless temps exceed 22°C/73°F, we had a pretty cool summer last year and my colony stopped producing oothecae for a while until I provided heat mats to bump the temps back into the mid 20's/high 70's.

I've found dead ones in random places (e.g. my snake's vivarium) and one live nymph in the bathroom but it's usually MMs that escape as they like to jump/glide.
  4. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

I’ve been able to get them breeding in pretty dry conditions, but man do they need it hot to reproduce. Chances are you’ll be just fine, I’ve never had any issues with escapees.
  5. octanejunkie

octanejunkie Arachnopeon

The only escapee I'd worry about are females that have previously bred as they can continue to have puppies on their own once inseminated, however they do require pretty hospitable conditions to thrive and reproduce. Places to check for escapees would be under and behind refrigerators, heaters and any access to food/waste.
  6. Rob1985

Rob1985 This user has no status. Old Timer

I wouldn't be worried, unless as others have said your home is hot and humid all year. As with other roaches they poop A LOT... and it's messy... and they smell. I don't breed them and never will breed them. I get mine in small mixed sized colony (approx. 25) from breeders at a local expo once a month. I just toss a piece of carrot in and they live most of the month on that. By the next expo they are all ate up or I transfer them into the next colony.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

I had two escape one night. One disappeared before I could react with a stomp. The other was not so lucky. That was a month or so ago...

The other night, I saw the other escapee on a drape. I quickly caught it (catch cups- they're NOT just for tarantulas!) and it became LP chow.

It was still in sub-adult stage, so even if it was a female, I doubt that it produced any ooths. If it did, the winter temperatures in this house are not exactly conducive for those hatching. However, the temps are not low enough to prevent escapees from surviving, obviously.
    I've been careful, but now even more so. The reason they got out was because I was shaking a piece of egg-crate over a cup to gather a few to take to somebody in need of a few feeders. I shook a bit too enthusiastically resulting in propelling them through the air instead of into the waiting cup, an error I will not make again.

I started with about 30 and now have probably a couple hundred, possibly more. When the warm-weather breeding season begins, I imagine I will have a ton of them. The population could rise to the thousands. I only have 5 tarantulas and a couple lizards, one of which has decided to show little to no interest in them. So, in the end, I'll either try to sell them locally or failing that, give them away. Failing both of those options, I'll cull the colony back to a reasonable level, probably only retaining 25 to 50.
  8. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnosquire Active Member

I keep sticky roach traps scattered around the house as insurance because I have dropped a roach a time or two. The only one not accounted for was a pinhead that I dropped a couple of months ago, but I doubt it lived as there's no access to water and I have a cat that's an expert bug killer. That cat can catch a mosquito off a 9 foot ceiling, that roach had no chance.