Chaco golden knee sling!!!!!!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well for christmas i wanted a chaco golden knee and my parents told me they werent able to get it shipped out for christmas in time. so they were lying. they had to spoil the suprise because ther was a miscommunication and the got a sling. a verrrrrrrrryyyyy smalll one.its only a few millimeters!!!!! i was not prepared for this at all but i am still very loving towards it. so pleas everyone tell me as much things i need to know as u can!!!!

Things i specificaly need answered: how often to feed it and what to feed it (im thinking crushed baby crickets for the time being), should i mist its substrate(if so how much) and in general everything important so please i really need help!!!:razz::razz::razz::razz:

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Things i specificaly need answered: how often to feed it and what to feed it (im thinking crushed baby crickets for the time being), should i mist its substrate(if so how much) and in general everything important so please i really need help!!!
Crushed crickets are fine.
Occassionaly just to give it water droplets to drink. You don't want the soil to be soaked.
Be ready to have a small sling for a long time as the G. pulchripes has a very slow growth rate. That being said - congrats on the new T!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
water droplets

how would i give it water droplets to drink what wud i put them in?

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It will be more rewarding to raise from this size!

One of my most fav T's.......because of color and temperment.:p
- Jason

P.S. Drop a few on soil in the small container that I assume it's in. Try 2 catch very small moths by lights outside.

Last edited:

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a mister (think the hairspray bottles that you can buy from stores but of course without the hairspray) and spray the side of my sling enclosures.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Primal

Isn't the water frozen there! :eek:

Happy Cows come from California, Except the ones captured by Aliens! ;P

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
frozen water

ya well my water is frozen too! im on the north fork of long island and we just had a blizzerd!!!!{D

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There's this new invention called indoor heating. Perhaps you've heard of it? And, sorry, I've never seen happier cows than those here in Wisconsin in their wide open fields.

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With my slings I have had progress in power feeding them (G. pulchra) so that they eat until they no longer want to. Then I keep them around 80 as best I can, and wait for them to molt, while also giving them access to water. So far one of mine is nearly 2 inches, after getting them at under an inch, in 5 months. Even the runt has gone from 3/4 to 1&1/2. When they reach the 2 inch body-length mark I plan to scale back their feedings on an individual basis so that they don't become hyper-obese adults.

So for your little Chaco to grow a tiny bit faster, keep it warm (80 is fine, I don't risk any warmer) and well fed and it shouldn't take a terribly long time for it to make it to 1 inch from RL leg to FR leg, and by extension one inch in body length from Chelicerae to spinnerets :). You have a great little sling, and I hope it turns out to be a she for you!

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my most fav T's.......because of color and temperment.:p
- Jason

P.S. Drop a few on soil in the small container that I assume it's in. Try 2 catch very small moths by lights outside.
Listen to all of the advice given except for anything Sharpfang has posted.

Sharpfang,

Are you seriously telling this guy to use wild caught prey items?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Listen to all of the advice given except for anything Sharpfang has posted.

Sharpfang,

Are you seriously telling this guy to use wild caught prey items?
Yes, don't catch bugs outside for your sling. That greatly increases the chance of your baby catching parasites. The best food for a sling that small is pinhead crickets or a fruit fly culture that you can buy at the local pet store.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Congrats on the new T :) I have no advice to give as its all been covered but just wanted to say congrats, they are great T's. Mine is about 2 1/2 inches and she is just awesome, I love her to bits.