chaco golden knee (G. pulchripes???) care

Redbarren

Arachnopeon
If you can't tell from the title, I've never cared for a tarantula before in my life. I've cared for snakes and millipedes before, but not these guys. I'm thinking about getting one, and selected chaco golden knee. first, what is the set up for this species? and second: I'm more than likely going to buy a young one, maybe 1" (and the first thing that I'm thinking is: great, I'm gonna kill it while it's little) so how do I take care of such a small animal?

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I will leave advise about set up to someone that keeps this species.

On the point of getting a small one or sling. Don't worry about that they are pretty solid little animals.
Before I got my first T. I read a lot of different articles.
The one that stood out was about new keepers should be encouraged to start with slings.
For many an adult doesn't do much and boredom quickly sets in.
A sling grows quick, (in many cases) molting often keeping the new keeper interested and excited.
thus growing the hobbie.
It was one piece of advice that I really appreciated. ...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Good question! For something at 1" you can use a 16 oz. deli cup, holes in the sides for ventilation. Cocofiber makes fine substrate, keep it bone dry and offer a small water dish-- keep it filled. Water is very important to tarantulas. At that size you can use a water/soda bottle cap.

Here is a picture of my 1" B. albiceps sling's enclosure. There is a small piece of cork bark for them to dig under and make a hide. The container is slightly bigger, something I bought on amazon. It's 20 oz. and has a screw top lid which I prefer to the push-on/pull-off lids on deli cups.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I can't wait to get mine! I think mine will be about a 1" sling too! Ive herd nothing but awesome things about these critters!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If you can't tell from the title, I've never cared for a tarantula before in my life. I've cared for snakes and millipedes before, but not these guys. I'm thinking about getting one, and selected chaco golden knee. first, what is the set up for this species? and second: I'm more than likely going to buy a young one, maybe 1" (and the first thing that I'm thinking is: great, I'm gonna kill it while it's little) so how do I take care of such a small animal?
They are one of the hardier species - even as spiderlings. At 1" they are going to be one of the easier species that you will find. They are a good choice to be your first spiderling.
Keep them a little bit damp as youngsters. If you have them in an enclosure too small for a tiny water dish, moisten down one side of the enclosure. Have a dry spot that they can go to as well. They don't want it soaking wet, but spiderlings do require a bit of moist substrate. As juveniles and adults, they do pretty well with a large water dish. In the drier months, I overflow the water dish and make one end of the enclosure wet which I let dry out before wetting again.
They are one of the faster growing Grammostola. Not fast by other species standards, but faster than some other species in the genus.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine was a freebie sling that grew relatively quickly -- a good 4" now from a tiny little 2nd instar a couple years ago.
Beautiful Ts, imo, and excellent feeding response.
I don't recall providing a lot of moisture even when mine was tiny. I probably dampened a small area of substrate (like 1/3 total) - my standard for a tiny NW sling. Some dampened sphagnum moss would work just as well. Mine got a water dish at 1/2 inch but was prone to webbing/putting dirt in it -- so water wicked out easily. I believe my G pulchripes sling was also a fan of burying his water dishes - he had like 5 buried water lids at one time.
Mine was an amazing substrate excavator and had a burrow -- mine completely hollowed out the bottom of his condiment cup -- so I could see him from below. Especially beneficial in knowing when mine moulted. Sorta cool.

As a sub-adult (large juvie?) mine hasn't shown any interest in burrowing anymore.

Redbarren

Arachnopeon
thanks so much for the guide, it was really helpful. but it does raise a new question I didn't think about, how long does it take for a 1" to get up to about a 5"?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
thanks so much for the guide, it was really helpful. but it does raise a new question I didn't think about, how long does it take for a 1" to get up to about a 5"?
Honestly? A loooonggg time. I got my G. pulchripes at 2.5" and she's at 3.5" now, three years later. I think she might be starting to go into pre-molt but. I do keep my room on the cold side (70F) which can slow growth though.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
It takes several years to reach 5’’, the entire grammostola genus grows pretty slow.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Got a 1/2 inch G. pulchripes in 2013, and she has been 4.5 inches for 3 years and 1 month now. So, medium-slow growth as slings, and then they slow way down.

Eddie789

Arachnopeon
Great choice! Someone mentioned Tom, id start with his videos on sling care. I also started with two 1/3 slings about 8 years ago!!! They are slow growers and my female is still around 4"-4.5"
Ill also include this care video on G. Pulchripes!